Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Who's using the 30-06

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2008, 07:54 PM
Silver Member

Who's using the 30-06

I'd like to have your experiences in hunting with the 30-06. Share your stories. But please keep this thread for 06 users.
My self I've actually shot a Snow goose with mine and the meat was okay. Phew! plus fox up to Caribou and hopefully Polar bear in the near future. My farthest shot was at 660 yrds.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:28 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Who's using the 30-06

The 30-06 is just as capible as alot of other rounds that seem to have fallen to the wayside in the shadow of the new sexier super mags..

The 06 can get a 180gr bullet to 2900fps from a 24" barrel , with the new Accubond showing such great results on big game I see no reason that it coulden't be used for anyhting in North America if the time were taken to get a good shot.
I personaly know of a fella that hunted with the 30-06 Ackley for over 30 years , the load was a 180gr Nosler Partition at 3000 fps and has killed several Alaskan brown bears with it , granted that would not be my first choice for a big bear but its certainly doable just make sure that you either anchor the animal or have cover that allows you to stay hiden.

I have killed whitetailed deer out to just over 600yds with a 308 , seeing that the 30-06 shoots a bit faster ....
Old 10-17-2008, 05:39 PM
Platinum Member

I bought a Winchester Model 70 30-06 in 1963. Saved a few more dollars and put a Weaver 4 power on it and never looked back. Itís on its third stock (horses just raise hell with stocks when they go down) third barrel and third scope. Started reloading about 1968. The load was 52 grains 4895 with a 150 grain Hornady spire point. Moved up to the 165 grain spire point boatail when I started hunting elk as much as deer. I have literally lost track of the bucks that rifle has taken with that load. Killed my first bull in 1976 in eastern Idaho with that rifle and load. Dropped him like a rock at about 300 yards. I canít give a yardage number for some of the really long shots I have made with that rifle other then they were way and the heck out there.

Knocking around the idea of having Kirby Allen build me a 300 AX. Just kinda fond of the 30 caliber bullet. I t should start to perform well where the 06 leaves off. In my opinion for a deer and elk rifle out to 400 yards the 06 is right there with the best.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 10-18-2008, 07:23 PM
Silver Member

My first gun i ever got was a 1917 enfield that my great uncle, built for my uncle.It has a hand carved hand checkered stock that he built along with a Douglas barrel and a 3x9 Leupold scope.I have killed whitetails,mulies and antelope with it out to 300 yrds.I am taking it to Montana next fall for a guided mulie hunt.Me ,my uncle and cousin are all going to us our 30/06 's that our great uncle built.He died 2 yrs ago and we think it would be cool to use and old plain boreing 30/06 . We all shot 4831 with a 165 Nosler B-tip or a Sierra 165 hpbt.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:50 PM
Silver Member

Deceided to use my match rifle to hunt one year as the family were going to hunt a new area that had some long range shooting in one spot so i put a different stock on my 03 springfield 30/06 with a Douglas 26 inch match barrel on to it and a 3-9 power weaver scope i know it's a little heavy but i know how it groups out to 600 yrds.
Worked up a load for 180gr round nose bullet so i'm all ready to go on the first day and as we were walking in to were we were going and i happen on two bucks laying in some brush was about 50feet from them when up they jump and start running through some saplings i cut loose and all i see in the scope was asses, just as i fire they cut right and all i hit is trees now the last deer just falls down like a ton of bricks and when i walk up to him there is a bullet hole right on his shoulder AND some wood splinters, i had shot him through a sapling about three inches thick blowing out the back half of the sapling.
The rem round nose bullet expanded and broke his shoulder and took out his lung as well
Old 10-18-2008, 09:38 PM

I use my Savage 116FCSS in 30-06 for deer hunting. I bought the gun new last fall and couldn't be happier. I'm fairly new to rifles and deer hunting so I was super excited when I took my first whitetail with it. I took my first crack at my big Saskatchewan whitetail at about 300 yards (ya I know it's not long compared to some of the guys out here...but it's my first). I hit it and ended up tracking it for quite some time before putting the finishing touches on it from 125 yards. Last fall my ammo of choice was 165 grain Federal Fusion.

This year, I've been drawn for mulies and of course I'll be going out for whiteys again. I'll be using the same '06 but this time I'll be launching a 150 grain Hornady Interbond (my gun really likes that round). I'm not sure how that round is going to perform on the deer but it sure is accurate!!!

By the way my whitey from last fall scored just shy of 145. Not a booner by any means but he was nice and thick (and pretty tasty too).

Here's a pic from my last range trip. I just mounted a Leupold VX-II on my '06 and here's my 3 shot group after sighting it in. Not bad being that I don't consider myself a great shot.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:41 PM

I have been using a .30-06 for the last four years. Taken 6 whitetail with it. Farthest shot was 250 yards. It is nothing special, just a remington 700. But I love to carry it. I am comfortable with it out to 400 yards, just not found a shot at that distance yet.
-Jake