Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Who's Gearing up for Colorado?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2003, 09:41 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Who\'s Gearing up for Colorado?

Good luck to all who are going......unfortunately this year has plans for me......and it isnt hunting...

LOL, within the pipeline to Paramedic.....Anat and Physiology begins...so....while Im learning to discern my medial malleolus from my acromioclavicular joint.....You guys have fun hunting.....

Take care,

Squatch...........
Old 09-03-2003, 09:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quitehunter

Two years ago 8 people saw this grizz at around 250 yards and we had the big optics on him to. I've killed black and light color Black bears in Colorado and know the difference between a black and a Grizz.

The game division admitted there were a few around from time to time that wonder in.

Len
I get dressed when company comes.
It's just so warm in the tent and with the stove I have, you just start taking the layers "OFF."

Later
DC
Old 09-03-2003, 10:41 PM
Gold Member

Darryl where did you find your Artic Tent? I'ld like to have one just in case I make it up to AK.
Old 09-04-2003, 05:18 AM

Darryl, I was going to ask the same question. Does it have an inside layer, and what type of stove is it. We are using a new tent this year. It is a converted plant tent, you know, the kind people on the corner sell plants in. I had sides sewn on and 2 overlapping doors, one on each end. Also had a stove pipe sewn in. I tested it this winter in my backyard. Had 8 inches of snow and it was really warm inside. It is a 20x30 with 6 foot sidewalls and a 11 foot peak. We can sleep about 14 people if needed. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 09-04-2003, 06:39 AM
Platinum Member

Steve and Texas

Yes, the tent has a liner that is removable if someone is using it in warmer weather.

It has the stove pipe hole already in them plus two vents.

I use the military pot stove and it has a coal grate in it. I use the "Chennel" small lump soft coal in it and it will last all night when I bank it down. I take five five gallen buckets of it with us and bring back 1 or 2 still full and the fire NEVER goes out the entire trip.

I bought the tent at "Bobs Army Navy Store" in Clearfield, PA. It was brand new in the original wrapping from the government.

The tent is octigen shape and is 16 feet across. It does have a center pole and one person "can" set it up. Waterproof and fire resistant. Weighs 100# without the telescoping center pole and stakes. Is 9' tall in the center.
A VERY warm, comfortable and usable tent.

They made them in two sizes, 13" across and 16" across. I had the 13' foot one and sold it to buy the 16 footer.

Later
DC
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/.../fb2fc3f7.jpg.

[ 09-04-2003: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]
Old 09-04-2003, 03:24 PM

Darryl,
How much coal do you use at night, and does it keep the tent warm all night. Our wood burns up too fast. What kind of coal shelf is in your stove. I am thinking of making a shelf out of some kind of expanded metal, but someone said it will get too hot and warp it pretty bad. How is your coal shelf made?
Thanks
Steve
Old 09-04-2003, 03:46 PM
Platinum Member

Steve

Look for a Military pot style stove with the grate in it already.

They run about $50.00 and comes with 5 sections of flue. They weigh about 45#

The coal lasts ALL night and then I put more in before we go out hunting and theres a bed of hot coals when we come back in. Throw more coal in and it starts right up.

I go to sleep in just my underwear laying ON TOP of the sleeping bag. At about 1AM I get up and put more coal in and bank it down. I then crawl into the bag.
When we eat breakfast, I have to open the tent flap and put my chair in the opening because it's so warm for me.

My wife likes the extra heat though

I burn that puppy 24 hrs a day.

Later
DC

[ 09-04-2003: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]