Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Who's been shootin?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2002, 07:40 AM
Silver Member

Re: Who\'s been shootin?

I was out playing with a300 win mag rem 700 at 300 yards. Shot a nice 3/4 in 3 shot group with it.
Old 05-09-2002, 10:59 PM

I went out one evening, 3 weeks ago. Killed 3 woodchucks at 125, 175 and 310 yards. Three shots, 3 kills, even though they weren't long range is was fun to get out again.

I am looking forward to hunting with Boyd this summer.

By the way Boyd,,,,,,,,,,whats a good weekend for you?

Don [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-10-2002, 07:58 PM
Platinum Member

Hi Don,any 1000 yard Match off weekend.We shoot next weekend.And have the next weekend off.And so on.....Seeing alot of hog's up this way.How about you?First cutting in a few week's.Let me know....... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-11-2002, 11:04 PM

Boyd,

To make sure I understand (and at my age that's not always easy, lol) you are open on the 25th of this month?

As to chucks - Most of the local farmers are just now spraying (round-up) on the fields in preparation for planting corn and beans. Planting should start soon. About 2 weeks later we should see tender bean plants emerging and we know what that means - candy for the chucks. I would say in 2 to 3 weeks we should have real good chuck hunting. Right now it is tough to see chucks in last years corn fields because the stalks are still up. Not a lot of hay fields around anymore. Seems like most of the guys that HAD cows have gone the corn and bean route and have given up trying to make a living raising cattle. There are a few dairy farms here and there but for the most part it is all corn and beans. The local nursery has some huge fields but they manicure their fields to the point where chucks are a rare sight on all their properties. Then again, we could always set-up on one side of the field and shoot over 1000 yards across the fields and watch the tree lines for chucks.

I do have exlusive rights to one place that has 460 acres and they will be planting all beans this year. The longest shooting available there is just a chip shot for you - around 800 yards. We killed about 20 chucks there last year and after doing some scouting the past couple of weeks I see lots of fresh holes. As soon as those bean plants get a couple of inches high you can bet those chucks will be moving into the fields and so will we [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Later this year we will be installing several elevated stands on that property. Again, we are the only ones allowed to place stands on that property, concreted 5' in the ground. We are looking at 4' X 6' stands, 20' high (line of sight). This will allow us better viewing for both chucks and deer - out to 800 yards.
If your interested in any doe hunting this fall, let me know. We already have 3 stands on another peice of property. All have roofs and all are waterproof. Nice and comfy.

Don [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]