Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Who's been shootin?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2002, 01:00 AM
Silver Member

Who\'s been shootin?

Alright, who's the lucky guys that have been shootin? Been way to busy! but still want to hear about it!
Old 05-02-2002, 06:43 PM
Silver Member

Re: Who\'s been shootin?

I've been doing a little, on those few mornings I've had when the wind isn't blowing.

I got a jack rabbit the other morning at 663 laser ranged yards. A new record for me. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I've spent most of the last couple of weeks cursing the wind and reading some new books.
Old 05-02-2002, 07:27 PM
Silver Member

I've got (6) 1,000yd BR matches in already this year, but the boss told me last week that vacation time is going to get scarce if any all from now until early December so we'll see if this continues.

Who's going to take up the slack?

Steve
Old 05-06-2002, 09:43 PM

Made it out today to test a few .243 AI and .280 AI loads but the dang wind was blowing about 20 mph gusting to 25, so we called it quits and drove down to a field where you can see about 1200 yards. There was a muskrat in the field at about 900 yds but by the time I got out of the truck with the .280, he made his way to the treeline on the right. Two crows landed at about 950-975 and , since I didn't have my rangefinder or data on the test load, I did the next best thing and took a SWAG. I knew the distance was about 950 yds., so I cranked in 27 MOA elevation and 8 MOA of wind and let 'er rip. My dad was spotting and I got back in the scope just before impact ---I believe it was that crow's lucky day. Miss at 12 o'clock by less than 4 inches. He did the funky chicken for a minute and finally flew off. We were laughing so hard I couldn't shoot again.
I still felt good about that one--Not bad for a SWAG(scientific wild ass guess). He won't be so lucky next time.... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-07-2002, 06:24 AM
Platinum Member

My wife and I shot in the first match at Willimsport this past week-end. We shot in both classes, 16 1/2lb and the Heavy gun class.

In the last two or three weeks, broke in barrels on four guns. Two 300 Weatherbys, 6/284 and a 6.5/284.

Other then that, a little turkey hunting, put in 120' of 12" culvert with my backhoe, keeping up with the mowing, dug in 100' of underground wiring, cut up some firewood for next winter, hauled large mountain stone for a firm base for two electric poles and trying to keep up with the aggregates and write the newsletter for the Williamsport club.
It's nice being retired.

DC

[ 05-07-2002: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]
Old 05-07-2002, 05:23 PM
Bronze Member

Just ended wolf and coyote hunting for the year on my month R&R going to go Griz. hunting here in about a week or two my daughter wants another Griz. so she is going to go if she can take time from work and collage she loves to hunt them bears.any way it is nice to take a break got a few more trails to cut in for wolf season next fall and some new equpitment to get broke in also the summer is never very long here; Have a good one: Coyote Slayer [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-07-2002, 11:20 PM
Platinum Member

Went out Sunday and shot 18 groups in about 4 hours. I know, I'm slow. Well one conclusion, in my sons Win classic compact 308win the 150 and 165 Sciroccos don't ever get under 2.5moa and the norm is around 3.5moa, and thats with three powders and several loads of each too.

The 165 Sierra GKSP and GKHPs turned in some fantastic groups though. All were under 1moa and most all between .5moa and .7moa with two under .4moa, so I'm very happy with these bullets and not at all with the Sciroccos.

I might add also that the factory Rem. 165 Scirocco load was shooting +2.5moa groups also. That was not the case with Federals factory 165 Sierra GKSP load, it was hovering just over .6moa. In this barrel, pressure was 48,900 for the GK factory load and 57,900 for Remingtons Scirocco load.

Going again this weekend.