Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Whoooaahhh-- got a CO Goat permit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2004, 10:45 PM
Platinum Member

Whoooaahhh-- got a CO Goat permit

Got it in the mail about a week ago. Took a 3/4 X 7/8ths curl CO Bighorn 2 years ago (www.perry-systems.com -- hunter testimonial)-- now this. I'll be using a new Savage Striker handgun in whatever factory WSM they'll send me. The gun will become a custom switch-barrel rig in the factory WSM, and a 17" Broughton barrel in .243 WSSM for LR coyotes later in the year.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:20 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Whoooaahhh-- got a CO Goat permit

Good for you Coyote!!!!! We did not draw our sheep tags,again nor moose. We did get bull tags for 61. And of course deer tags for northwestern Co. If we are lucky we'll get speedgoats and deer for Wy. next month. Good luck on your goat hunt!!
Old 06-08-2004, 10:05 PM
Gold Member

Good for you! I got another sheep and goat point. Good luck on the hunt.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:02 PM
Platinum Member

Thks. guys-- Brad will get ahold of u soon for the writeup-- been busy moving into the new house. The area i'll be hunting is right out your way-- G13, between Aspen and Leadville, and so. from there. Got any ideas on which peak/peaks to look over?? Good luck on your hunts too guys.

[ 06-09-2004: Message edited by: sscoyote ]
Old 06-09-2004, 04:10 PM
Silver Member

Congratulation sscoyote. I killed my billy in 1999 in 13. I helped a fried kill a nice billy there last year, but it lost an inch or more when it tumbled a thousand feet or so. What season did you apply for?

Taos,
What season will you be in 61? I have a buck tag for third season.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:49 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Quiet hunter,

If your goat only lost around 1" of horn and fell 1000 feet consider yourself as VERY blessed!!! Goats horns break extreemly easily. I have known guys that have shot them and rolled over once and broke the horn in 1/2 and some have broke off all together. There was a nonresident alien that came to AK 6 times and paid MAJOR $$$$$ to get a good goat. He shot 6 goats, and he watched 5 goats break their horns and the last one he shot he finnaly got perfect horns.

sscyote, congradulations on your goat permit. My only advice is to hit em good and hit em hard. Goats, unlike wild sheep DO NOT give up as easy. They are very very tough.

I still have yet to see if I am awarded any permits. Applications include Az mule deer (Arizona strip) and Az elk and Ak elk.

PS, congrats on your big horn!! I am a sheepaholic!!
[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[ 06-09-2004: Message edited by: meichele ]
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:54 PM
Platinum Member

Thks. all, Hey Q-- i gots to talk to u! Any ideas where to concentrate my scouting efforts? I'll be hunting 9/7-22.

[ 06-09-2004: Message edited by: sscoyote ]