Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Who ownes a .220Swift & Which factory rifle should I choose?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2006, 01:46 AM
Silver Member

Who ownes a .220Swift & Which factory rifle should I choose?

I have been looking around the web trying to find a good factory rifle in the .220Swift. Who owns a .220Swift & can give me some feedback? I would like to draw from your experience out there on which rifle has had success & why? I have heard and read alot about the .22-250, but have made my mind to go with the swift for a little more speed and just to be different. I don't shoot alot, but would like to have this gun for varmints & maybe to start off my kids with in the near future... Any comments or thoughts welcomed. Thanks for the help!

Old 10-10-2006, 06:59 AM
Silver Member

Re: Who ownes a .220Swift & Which factory rifle should I choose?

I have had good results with the Rem. 700 , and the aftermarket accessories for the Rem . are almost infinite . Saying that , Rem. quality seems to be steadily decreasing . All my 700s are old ones . Savage should be considered and is probably the most accurate Factory Rifle out of the Box. I did buy a new Winchester Heavy Varmint in 220 swift last year ( they were discontinued many years ago ) and was really impressed with the Trigger when adjusted . I have not shot it yet , so can't comment on the accuracy . There are a lot of used Varmint rifles out there , but you have to be very careful with the Swift as the barrel can be fried if used rapid fire on a Pdog Town .
Old 10-10-2006, 09:27 AM
Gold Member

Spino,
I have one of Freds rifle in a Swift 1-12 and it shoots great! A custom that does not break the wallet. Call(if you can get thru or email) to see what he has or can have available for you. 55 Baltips at 3900 no problem. You'll love a Swift which ever one you get.

http://www.savageshooters.net/sharpshooters/
Old 10-10-2006, 03:33 PM
Platinum Member

Spino,
go with a Remington in 220 Swift. You will love the Swift's performance. I shoot a 40grn V-Max at 4200fps and the 50grn V-Max at 4000fps. You will out shoot the guys with the 223 and the 22-250's at the longer ranges. Don't let anybody talk you out of a Swift, there is plenty of brass, it's very accurate, and very fast. Brass is easy to find, I use Norma Brass, and I get it through Sinclair International. My Swift is custom, however, it started out as a Remington M700 VSSF II. The VSSF II, in 220 Swift uses a 1-14 twist barrel. As an out of the box rifle, the VSSF II shot in the .5's with quality ammo. I've been hearing Savage rifles are more accurate than Remington rifles out of the box. However, I would go with the Remington because the quality of the action. Remington actions, when worked on by a quality gunsmith, are almost as good as the custom actions. Since then, my rifle has been rebuilt, here are the specs;
1. 220 Swift
2. Speedy Sleeved Rem. M700 Action trued
3. Lilja 28", 1-14 twist, 1.250 tapered to .930
4. McMillan A-4
5. Jewel 2oz trigger
6. Holland Muzzle Brake
7. Speedy Base
8. Kelby Rings
9. Nightforce 5.5x22x56 NXS

Spino, here some load data for you. If you go with the Rem. M700 VSSF II, I bet this load will shoot awesome. Here is the load I used, and components;

1. Powder 43grns H414
2. Bullet 40grn V-Max
3. Primer-Fed 205M
4. Brass-Norma
5. Velocity is 4200fps

This load is very accurate and consistant. I used this load when my rifle was originally the VSSF II and have continued to use the same load in my custom Swift. As mentiond above the VSSF II, with the above mentioned load, shot in the .5's and a couple of the groups measured in the .3's and .4's. However, it would shoot .5 groups all day long. In my custom Swift, this load shoots in the High .1's and Low .2's. Try this load when you get your rifle, I know it will work. One more thing, go with the Remington!!

Wildcat
Old 10-10-2006, 04:35 PM
Silver Member

I'll have to agree. I have a VSSF II in 204 and it is extremely accurate (1/4"). I was debating between the Swift and 204 and settled on the 204. With the Swift you can also use heavier bullets (depending on twist) to help with the wind.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:25 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the feedback so far & I'm hearing that the Rem, Savage & Winchester are being recomended so far. I looked into the savage - http://www.savagearms.com/12bvss.htm , but couldn't find a 220Swift being offered? Did I miss the model? The Remington M700 VS SF II seems to be @ the top of my list so far....

I also checked Winchester's site: http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodin...y.asp?cat=001C they don't have a 220Swift either. Dang!

I may have to look into a used gun??
Old 10-10-2006, 10:25 PM
Silver Member

I only know of two major producers of the Swift and that is Remington with the VSSF II and Ruger. There are probably others in the custom/semi-custom rifles around. I guess Winchester didn't want to have the Swift competing against the 223 WSSM.

As someone said earlier, watch the throats and barrels in the used Swifts as they weren't chrome lined and might have worn faster with hot loads.