Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Who keeps a log book?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 11:21 PM
Gold Member

Re: Who keeps a log book?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Sawyer View Post
I track the same info as Outlaw6.0 as well as where the bullet landed. It all gets kept in a 5x8 "write in the rain" book. It has been invaluable tracking updrafts and thermals in alot of the canyons where I practice and hunt.
+1......... I have way more data than I do memory. Too many different rifles and loads so each one gets it's own mini notebook. I have found it to be invaluable to keep records. As far as the ten shot string goes: the waist (dead weight) produced if I were to use those is why I do not use a prefab book. That and cost and availability and I think they are kind of silly the way they are all set up so inefficiently. However, It could be useful to someone attempting to overcome recoil fatigue or to a beginner still learning how to make the birds stop chirping.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:14 AM
Platinum Member

I used to keep all my info for each rifle on a target. When I started shooting long range about I kept a very detailed log book that included all details, for every shot fired downs the barrel including game taken. I use a standard school notebook and tape the targets into the book. I now have accumulated several volumes that prove invaluable when I go to use a particular rifle or someone asks about load information.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt

Last edited by Greyfox; 03-13-2013 at 06:16 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-13-2013, 06:56 AM
Gold Member

I have 2 books; One on the load bench where I record the powder load, Base to Ogive dimension, and number of rounds loaded for everythign that I load in chronological order as it happens.

Each rifle has a small spiral notebook roughly 4"x6" that travels with the rifle and contains all active shooting data for that particular rifle. Things I record for each shooting session:

Atmospheric data (temp, humidity, baro, DP, DA)
Target Distance
Elevation Dope
Wind Direction & speed
Wind Dope.
Shots fired

Jeffvn
Old 03-13-2013, 10:23 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.ID View Post
+1......... I have way more data than I do memory. Too many different rifles and loads so each one gets it's own mini notebook. I have found it to be invaluable to keep records. As far as the ten shot string goes: the waist (dead weight) produced if I were to use those is why I do not use a prefab book. That and cost and availability and I think they are kind of silly the way they are all set up so inefficiently. However, It could be useful to someone attempting to overcome recoil fatigue or to a beginner still learning how to make the birds stop chirping.
... or after the EMP when everyone's electronic doo-dads are all fried, or your batteries just 'oops' die.. and that all that data is locked up in a brick...

sometimes 'old school' is worth the trouble! and it's no trouble at all! Most of us 'geezers' learned to use a pencil instead of our thumbs!!

Whatever works for you, as long as you keep track and have your data when you need it!

"History does not long trust the care of freedom to the weak or timid" Dwight David Eisenhower
Sic Semper Tyrannis...Veritas et Aequitas

Old 03-13-2013, 12:34 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffVN View Post
I have 2 books; One on the load bench where I record the powder load, Base to Ogive dimension, and number of rounds loaded for everythign that I load in chronological order as it happens.

Each rifle has a small spiral notebook roughly 4"x6" that travels with the rifle and contains all active shooting data for that particular rifle. Things I record for each shooting session:

Atmospheric data (temp, humidity, baro, DP, DA)
Target Distance
Elevation Dope
Wind Direction & speed
Wind Dope.
Shots fired

Jeffvn
think I'm gonna copy what you do, so I'll have a hard copy backup of my online records.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:08 PM

I keep a log book for each weapon but I also made stickers on 2" x 4" labels that have the data. I stick them to the targets and keep the targets in a notebook.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:14 AM
Bronze Member

I can't imagine not having a log book. I have a binder with dividers or "chapters" for each caliber and/or rifle. Each "chapter" begins with the rifle including all rifle info. Then come potential loads which I find on the intenet from many of you good folks. Then comes load development including date(most important piece of information), atmospheric conditions and result. Finally I have another section for more rifle info like round count, cleanings, bullets used...

The reason I said that the most important piece of information is the date for load development is that I keep all of my targets in a few boxes chronologically organized so that I can go back and look at targets if I need to.

I think I'm going to have to get another binder, this one is bursting at the seams and I have a new rifle on its way.