Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Who keeps a log book?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 08:19 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Who keeps a log book?

I keep one for reloading which includes the groups I get during load development. but once my load for that rifle is built the only thing I keep track of is every time I load for it and all the details of the load

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 03-11-2013, 09:22 AM
Platinum Member

I do yes. The main reason being the ability to keep a tried a true range card. I have more rifles than I have memory capacity.

Things I record:

What rifle/load i'm shooting
Atmospheric data
Target Distance
Elevation Dope
Wind Direction & speed
Wind Dope.
Shots fired

I played around with Excel & made my own based upon a few I've seen out there.

t

Old 03-11-2013, 06:08 PM
Silver Member

I track the same info as Outlaw6.0 as well as where the bullet landed. It all gets kept in a 5x8 "write in the rain" book. It has been invaluable tracking updrafts and thermals in alot of the canyons where I practice and hunt.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:59 PM
Bronze Member

I have been meaning to ask about this and hoping someone can help me out. I have seen all the data books where each page has spots where you fill out all the atmospherics as well as the rifle information and range. It has a place to draw your impacts and has 10 spots usually to show where you shot. That's great and all, but I have no reason to shoot 10 shots at the same range and I have no reason to plot missed shots. So what I have been doing is in a small note pad I write the date and all the current atmospherics on the top of the page. Then I shoot at a range, if I hit where I want, I write that elevation down next to the range on that page. If I miss I make corrections until I have it where I want it then I write it down next to that range. I do this for all the distances I shoot at that day. I may only take one shot at a target at a certain range, so what is the reason to have a whole data book page labeled with all the atmospherics and then only one range? I understand plotting to keep track of cold bore shots and shots after cleaning, but other than that why do I need to know anything other than the scope setting that are right for a given distance at given conditions? I'm not saying I you do it this way, you are wrong. I know a lot of people do it this way and this is the way I was taught as well. I just don't see how that is very productive. Does anyone else do it similar to what I do? Can someone help me out with this if I am missing something.

Thanks
Old 03-11-2013, 11:35 PM

I have been keeping range books for about 2 years now. The more i use them the more i like them. I keep one book for each caliber, and just make sure the data is entered for the specific rifle i'm shooting. Load data, chrono data, conditions and dope, range estimation data(depends on the rifle) ,round count log.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:28 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow View Post
It has a place to draw your impacts and has 10 spots usually to show where you shot. That's great and all, but I have no reason to shoot 10 shots at the same range and I have no reason to plot missed shots.
The 10 little spots is to plot your call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow View Post
I may only take one shot at a target at a certain range, so what is the reason to have a whole data book page labeled with all the atmospherics and then only one range?
I still use the 10-shot target pages to dial in and "prove" my firing solutions at a given distance. Takes more than 1 shot to prove something. For practical practice however, I'm with you. Look at my "master the conditions" databook page.

On the far right, you can identify 12 individual targets and calculate a firing position if you like. On the left, you can randomly choose a target, get 20 points for a first round hit or 5 for a second round hit. You can just choose to fire 1 if you like. Elev. and Wind is where you'd indicate your chosen firing solution for the shot. The corrections column is where you'd outline your adjustment to that solution if it ends up being off. If you choose, you can track the wind per shot as well. Obviously some data you'd be going with before the shot, others you'd be collecting after.

Each page in a databook has value. You just have to know how to use them, to get the most out of it.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:00 PM
Silver Member

Yep, Impact Data and customize the pages. I can't imagine not using a log of some sort. Just habit from my army training! lol

Kinda like going to the gym and not keeping a log of your workouts.

"History does not long trust the care of freedom to the weak or timid" Dwight David Eisenhower
Sic Semper Tyrannis...Veritas et Aequitas