Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Who has the quickest turn-around on custom dies?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Silver Member

Who has the quickest turn-around on custom dies?

Looking for someone who has less than a 6 month build time for a custom wildcat die set.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:06 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Who has the quickest turn-around on custom dies?

First thing you have to have is the reamers---both of them.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:38 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hoss View Post
First thing you have to have is the reamers---both of them.
I'm not sure if the this glass holds water but Mr. Niel Jones told me he just
need 3 fired cases fired 3 times. After I told him I had the die cutting reamer he informed me that there is no need for it.

I believe he told me a 12 to 16 week turn around, but that was 2 months ago.

Last edited by 7mmrowland; 09-08-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:57 PM
Platinum Member

Sounds like Neil is getting busy. Last time I talked to him it was about 8-12 weeks, but that's been several months.

Have you called Redding?

What wildcat are you looking for?

-MR
Old 09-08-2009, 08:34 PM
Gold Member

Any idea how much full length custom die would cost for .308? I been neck sizing my brass, but sooner or later I have to full size it shrinks over time and after I full size it I have to fireform it to make my brass perfect again, by the way where in PA is this place where custom dies are made?

found another thread the guy in Saegertown, might pay him a visit, thanks by the way in that thread stated that neck sizing will make brass tight, don't you guys after neck sizing it trim it to particular length? doing so will shrink brass not make them tighter

Last edited by Jinx-); 09-08-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:07 PM
Platinum Member

Jinx,

You can get custom dies from a number of sources. Neil Jones is well know for making good ones. Redding is another source. You can also just use a body die on your brass to partialy size it so it just barely fits your chamber. You can also use bushing dies, which is probably the best way to go but reqires turning your necks. With bushing dies you can neck and body size or FL size. If my memroy serves me well, in one of my conversations with Neil, I beleived he said he originally developed bushing dies. There are a lot of ways to skin the cat. And there are a lot of good threads on the subject... if you take a little time to read through them you will learn a ton, just like me.

You from PA?

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 09-08-2009 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:09 PM
Platinum Member

You only have two main ways to do this.

1. Like Boss Hoss said, you must have the matching resize reamer to your exact chamber reamer. Then most smiths can make you a FL size die matched to your chamber, heat treat it and good to go. Cost will be about $175 up and your cost for the reamer unless the smith just happens to have your exact chamber reamer. Do not let anyone feed you that crap about using your chamber reamer to make a FL size die. Totally bogus and abosolutely zero resizing.

2. Dies from fired cases. Neil Jones and Jim Carstenson (JLC Precison on www.6mmbr.com under "Tools", also does some I believe.) Neil needs 5 cases fired 3 times or a copy of your chamber reamer print. He will make either an inline or 7/8x14 or 1 inch press die that is NS only initially if all you have is the chamber reamer print. You fire the cases 3 times, send the NS die back along with the cases and he makes an insert to make the NS dies into a FL size die with neck/shoulder bump bushings (only one that does this) custom honed to your chamber. Cost is about $175 to $200 depending on which die body. My 338 Lapua Ack Imp dies were on the 1" die body and 3 shoulder neck bushings. Figure anywhere from 45 days to 3 months.

3. Heard the Jim Carstenson does it similar. I know he can take a redding body die, convert it to FL size with bushings custom honed for $80 if your wildcat is off standard Redding body die.

4. The Harrell brothes in VA (go to BR central and look under dies and muzzlebrakes) have a CAD process to do certain dies.

5. Die mftrs will normally need cases or reamer print and if using reamer print it will be "close" but not exact fit to chamber. Cost is $150-300 and 10 weeks to 10 months depending on time of year, mftr and backlog.

BH