Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Who Else Uses The Hornady A-Max for Deer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2007, 12:06 PM
Bronze Member

That's a nice part of the state. A lot warmer and flatter than the mountains
Old 11-23-2007, 01:53 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmint Hunter View Post
I was hunting on an 8,000 acre farm which is leased by the Occeneecche Lodge. They have a considerable amount of soybean inter-dispersed throughout the farm. Lots of good cover for the deer with hardwoods, swamps and river bottom. It's in Jackson, NC.

That is a wonderful area to be hunting. Some of the largest whitetails in N.C. are from that county and area.

Mike
Old 11-23-2007, 03:09 PM
Silver Member

[quote=Varmint Hunter;174067]On a recent North Carolina whitetail hunt I took two mature does for the venison. I was shooting my ol' 7STW and the 162gr A-Max @ 3,100 ft/sec. Both deer were shot @ 300 yards.]

I hope you had a good time here in Eastern N.C. If you enjoyed the hunting up at Occeneeche Lodge, you need to talk to them about coming back in April or May for the Rock/Striped Bass Run on the Roanoke River. If the hunting was fun the Rock fishing will be unbelievable.

Good Luck

MikeNC
Old 11-23-2007, 06:37 PM
Platinum Member

I'm not much of a fisherman but my buddy lives to fish & hunt. I'll pass your info along.

We had a good time and will be returning in 2 weeks. I'm a little skeptical about the trophy opportunities at this time (2nd rut) because the camp holds 25 men per day and I'm sure that the harvest in November was BIG.

I wil also be booking for Nov 2008 when I get back there. We may bring 6-8 men with us for next year.

Happy to support the economy of North Carolina - the local folks were all great!
Old 11-23-2007, 07:17 PM
Silver Member

Good to hear you are coming back to N.C. and that the people treated you well. I live just about an hour south of Jackson. The hunting should still be great when you get back in the coming weeks. It's still really dry here and we are supposed to have some cold(not NY cold but cold for here) come down in the coming days so maybe those deer will be just right for you.

Amazing, I left N.C. to go to NY in July to shoot whitetails with nuissance/crop damage permits and a man from NY leaves NY to come to N.C. for whitetails. Whole lot of traveling going on.

Mike

Last edited by mikenc; 11-23-2007 at 07:26 PM.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:16 PM

Before Antelope season this October, I reworked a load using the 208 gr. .308 A-Max in my Warbird. Was looking for a shot in excess of 500 yds. so I thought this high BC bullet would be a good bet on that light of an animal. It worked fine. Expansion was explosive, wound channel devastating and weight retention not very good ; all things expected from a thin jacketed bullet. Even so, the bullet did penetrate quite well. I'm sure sheer mass of the bullet had lots to do with that. So I figured I'd give the combo a go on Mule Deer come general big game season.

I was able to take a large Mulie on the third day of the season with the bullet. Again, it did the job. The shot was right around 250 yds. at a steep uphill grade, with the buck quartering away slightly. The bullet entered a little low, just behind the front shoulder and exited high behind the off side shoulder. The only bone it came into contact with was rib. Shards from the rib did a number on the lungs as the bullet almost completely unattached the heart from arteries. I'd never seen that before. Exit hole was much smaller then I'd have expected seeing amount of destruction to rib and flesh. Meat of the off side shoulder was fairly blood shot, even though it wasn't hit.

All in all, I was pleased with the bullet. Kinda educated myself on what I already suspected might be true about the bullet. Using the combo again, I'd aim farther back competely staying away from the shoudlers. These bullets do cause lots of trama and any sort of impact close to meat you'd like to put in the freezer may be hammered. I'd never use a light for caliber A-Max on deer and I would never intentionally impact on-side shoulder, even with the heavy for caliber bullet. Either way you slice it, these bullets are frangible. I believe the 208's work fine because there's the mass (good) to back up or off-set the light construction (bad). Use a lighter A-Max (light weight with light construction) and you might open yourself up to seeing performane you probably wouldn't like.

More then likely, after testing things out on game, I'll probably go back to the original load I had worked up using the 180 or 200 gr. AccuBond. But the A-Max test was certainly worth taking and I enjoyed collection the on game results from it's use.

Good luck with the bullet if you choose to use it. >> korey

Last edited by klallen; 11-24-2007 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:03 PM

Shot this doe at 277 yards with my 264 Win mag. 140 A Max at 3100fps.
Hi neck shot, no meat loss , dead and down before the rifle finished recoil.