Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Who do you get a solid position W/shooting sticks?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2004, 01:56 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Who do you get a solid position W/shooting sticks?

Going to the range with a 22rf is great, but dry firing at home with the rifle that you hunt with is also a good idea. A shilhouette champion dry fires 8 to 1 because she doesn't always have time to go to the range but always has 15 or 20 minutes to dry fire.
Drags
Old 11-12-2004, 04:25 PM
Platinum Member

I found that two sets of sticks works for best for my field shooting, always place a rest under the toe of the butt or near to it. One setup under the forearms makes for a teeter-totter, better to have the other end of the rifle secured. Have killed a lot of critters with a new Stoney Point TRIPOD up front and their sticks under the butt - rock steady out to 700 yards. Just did my antelope with the tripod and a sandsock under the butt, prone shot but some grass and barbwire so I had to get up a bitfor the shot.
We also use the taller Stoney Point tripod with the little arm attachment that supports the butt, made standing offhand hits consistently at 700 on our 12x16 inch steel plates.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:34 AM
Silver Member

Ian

Who sells the Stoney Point Tripod? How cumbersome is it in the field? If you're making hits out to 700 yards, it sounds like a good piece of kit.

260shooter
Old 11-14-2004, 10:53 AM
Platinum Member

You can buy direct, check out http://store.yahoo.com/stoneypoint/index.html

Your sporting goods store can also order this stuff I expect.

The quality of this stuff is excellent - I have used various sticks, bipods, tripods and the quad on many hunts.

The tripod is the way to go, quad is too slow to setup unless you have lots of time in a blind situation.

Good luck, believe you would like this stuff.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:29 AM

Be careful not to back your shoulder directly into a tree or other immovable object. Calibers with significant recoil can hurt you badly if there is no place for the recoil to go.
Old 11-21-2004, 04:39 PM
Bronze Member

I just bought a set and have not tried them enough to say but this website http://www.varmintal.com/abifu.htm has the authors own set of shooting sticks and it has good pictures to show you how to use them.
Old 11-21-2004, 05:08 PM
Bronze Member

I no longer use a bipod for two reasons, the weight it adds, and it just never seems to be the right height. I tried shooting sticks and they just weren't steady enough to suit me. I have found what works well for me is a cuff style sling by Tactical Intervention.

If I am prone and slung in it is a very steady platform. From the sitting position I have found if I get my right side leaned into a tree or a rock and slung in tight, it as steady as the prone position. With the increased field of fire due to better mobility, and the nearest thing to a bipod for near rock solid steady it is what I use exclusively. When you are ready to move to another position just unclip from the cuff and it is a carry sling. Something that you might consider.

Come to think about I think I showed you that sling last summer when you came down to pick up that scope....didn't I?

RiverRat