Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Who do you get a solid position W/shooting sticks?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2004, 01:08 PM
Silver Member

Who do you get a solid position W/shooting sticks?

I practiced recently with shooting sticks at 400 yards. Couldn't find a solid position. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Main target will be coyotes.

Thanks

260shooter
Old 11-11-2004, 04:18 PM
Silver Member

Re: Who do you get a solid position W/shooting sticks?

I prefer a bipod but sticks are great for packing around. They weigh less and since they are not part of the rifle they are much easier to carry.
Use them while sitting. Put your sling over one post to keep things from slipping. Wrap up in the sling and it will make the front pretty solid. If you can, position yourself against a solid object (like a tree of post) and that will help firm up the back of the rifle.

This method has worked well for me and I managed to use it on this deer on election day at 360 yards.

Old 11-11-2004, 06:43 PM
Bronze Member

260shooter, make a strap to fit around your knees so you can rest your elbows just inside your knees while sitting use the straps with the shooting sticks. I use this method for hunting woodchucks and can body shoot them out to about 400 yds. Also the straps alone make a good support while glassing.
Drags
Old 11-12-2004, 08:03 AM
Bronze Member

Just my opinion but in my experience you can't get steady enough with shooting sticks to shoot longer ranges. The Harris bipod is your sturdiest field portable support for long range shooting. Again just my opinion from my experience.
I don't ever use a bipod anymore for big game hunting. I always throw my back/day pack down and use it. It has a stay in the back so I can use it prone or sitting.
For coyote hunting have always used the Harris bipod and pretty consistently shoot standing coyotes out to 500 yards with my 300 win mag and rangefinder combo.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:27 AM
Bronze Member

I agree with Nottoofar. My preference is a Kifaru backpack, which I can lay down or use the supports in the frame with the pack straight up. It's not quite a benchrest, but for field duty, it's pretty darned steady out to as far as I will shoot. My max number is apparently quite a bit less than some folks who post here.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:11 AM
Gold Member

I would agree that a good bipod or a rucksack makes a pretty solid platform to shoot off of.

Problem is, it don't always work.

A number of places I've hunted, grass and/or sage brush pretty much ixnayed the idea of using a backpack, unless you stand it up on the frame, at which point I think a good set shooting sticks would still work just as well. Bipod... I've got one of those super-tall Harris models... pretty much sits in a drawer collecting dust. Kind of a PITA to manipulate.

Biggest thing for using the shooting sticks... practice. Take your .22 LR to the range and play around some. You aren't going to get match winning accuracy by any stretch, but they do come in hand when the grass is too tall for prone and you don't want to shoot regular Sitting w/ a sling. W/ a Rem Model 7 and some Stoney Point Steady-Stix one thing that helped me was to hold the sticks right at the crossing, and use a couple fingers to capture the rifle barrel/stock down into the 'V' even more securely, and pull back into my shoulder. Seemed to help, anyway.

YMMV,

Monte
Old 11-12-2004, 01:03 PM
Silver Member

IMHO often whats missing with cross sticks is back support as mentioned earlier.

If you can find some way field expedient to lean your back against a tree, against your partner, into brush etc.... that will help.

The part about taking whatever you use to the range with a 22 is so dead on. Practice makes perfect. Nope its perfect practice makes perfect. I've even leaned forward in brush and grabbed as much as I can and then stress those bushes out leaning into them to stabilize things.

Best bet is always prone for me though. IT takes prone to reach out beyond 300 yards comfortably.

Jeff