Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Where are the hunting stories from this season?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2004, 08:24 PM
Silver Member

Re: Where are the hunting stories from this season?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Hey Quiet Hunter. Nice buck! Congrats. What caliber gun and what type of bullet did you use? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you.
This is my 25-06 using the 101 Groovebullet, MV 3400 fps. The gun started as a Browning A-Bolt but has a Pac-Nor 25" fluted barrel. Glas bedding and trigger lightened to 2 pounds by Kevin Knight at HPG. Scope is a Leupold Vari-X 3 3.5-10x50 with illuminated mil-dot. Funny thing is I did not think to turn on illumination [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2004, 12:52 AM
Bronze Member

has been pretty uneventful here too, took a spike the first evening @ about 100 yds with my .35 Whelen, first shot cut a foot long groove in the top of a haybail and struck him in the brisket infront of the front legs, second shot took both lungs, dropped him where he stood. today took a doe at about 80 yds with the Whelen, hit under left eye, exited back of skull just above last vertibre. shooting 250gr remington factory loads, cant wait to see what it does with handloads and 225 SGKs.
later
Daniel J Ludwig
Old 11-22-2008, 05:24 PM
Bronze Member

Pa deer opens Monday after Thanksgiving

I had a small area to hunt in NY, Lady Luck was with me and I managed to get my biggest NY deer, no long range but it was a memorable hunt.

Started climbing the hill about 10:45 20deg, watched some turkey & started to walk some, I spotted a nice buck on a 4 wheeler trail, no matter how I tried getting a clear kill shot, it was not happening, not even a tree I could rest/steady on, I chose to take what was given me, angling away through briars, freehand, 120yds 1 shot behind the left shoulder, shattering the right shoulder (sierra stopped by the skin - recovered) Buck does not drop but turns even further to head away, 2nd shot (same briars) across the belly skin, exiting the chest between both frt shoulders, didnt go down, but I could see internals hanging, he will lay, I am not going to push him, I start my circle around, 45 minutes later I jump him, perfect broadside - NOPE he is on the horizon with a highway & homes in the distance, I continue to circle putting the horizon to my back while he jogs off up the hill, I find his stomach & intestines stuck to the ground where he had been laying, ok I wait a half hr hoping he would die, I start the pursuit again not wanting to lose my trophy, I catch up w/ him & he jumps up ready to run, broadside shot, rib heart lungs exit & off he goes down the valley, I catch up w/ him a couple hundred yds away, I finally had my buck in hand.

30+ yrs hunting, that deer was the toughest, the load I been using for the past 6 yrs seems to drop them fast, but not this deer, I thought he was going to outlive me that day :confused:

My son used the same load earlier in the week on a 8pt 100yds, frontal, base of the neck exiting behind the left shoulder (recovered - stopped by the skin) dead on the spot.

86grs IMR7828/Fed215/30 165 Sierra BTSP

Old 11-23-2008, 08:49 AM
Gold Member

I already posted my first two kill stories --

1st mule deer, Montana, 438 yds 15 degree angle
1st elk (6X6), Montana, 683 yds 15 degree angle

Both with a Remington Sendero 300WM

First day of deer season here was cold, wet and miserable, I saw a couple good bucks come out early but they were never within 400 yds and my rangefinder would not work well in the rain (and I was hunting with a muzzleloader since we can't use rifles). Some bedded does got up and led the bucks off the property so I hunted around the perimeter of the field to get downwind of the area since I knew more deer were bedded down on that ditch. When I got relatively close a tall 6-pt came out and busted me, I dropped and got the gun on the bipod but could not reach my rangefinder without spooking him. I estimated 200 yds and a touch, and held for the base of the neck on a frontal shot. It was really 275 yds, the bullet planted between his feet and he and about 10 does were GONE. I reloaded and started for my truck, but not 5min later here comes the slightly smaller of the two nice bucks back in a hurry with his nose to the ground. I got the ditch he had to cross ranged at 225 yds, and when he crossed I practically had to yell a bleat to get him to hold for the shot he was so engaged in that doe scent. The 200gr Shockwave bullet put him down in his tracks at about 200 yds, a relatively easy shot for me after a couple 300+ yd shots the last few years.

I don't have any pics of me with the buck yet as they were on a 35mm, but yesterday we checked the trail cams on the property and found a shot of him 5 days before I took him. I thought that was kind of neat.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:19 PM
Bronze Member

Last week I tried three different rifles for whitetail in North Carolina. The first was a 6mm-06 with a 88 grain berger @ 3640. Two kills where the dear dropped in their tracks. First was a heart lung shot at 260 yds and a mid neck shot at 276 yards. The heart lung never exited. The next was a neck shot at 156 yds with a 9.3x64 275 grain A-Swift small exit hole as you would expect but did anchor the deer.

The next dear is the unbelievable. I was hunting soy bean fields where 600 to 800 yard shots were expected using a 338 edge 300 grain smk @ 2850. The unexpected happened when a buck showed up on woodlot edge at 125 yds. I hit the deer high and behind the front shoulder which knocked him to the ground immediately. As I slid another shell in he began to roll then crawl to some high brush. I lost site of him at that point. When I went to find him all I found was the leaves scraped where he fell, but not even a drop of blood. I was able to trail him by the disturbed leaves for about 20 yards but never found a drop of blood. Searched for two days and never found him. I know that the bullet may not expand much but cannot believe that there was not at least a one inch hole on the exit side.

Open for comments on this one.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:25 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyesko View Post

The next dear is the unbelievable. I was hunting soy bean fields where 600 to 800 yard shots were expected using a 338 edge 300 grain smk @ 2850. The unexpected happened when a buck showed up on woodlot edge at 125 yds. I hit the deer high and behind the front shoulder which knocked him to the ground immediately. As I slid another shell in he began to roll then crawl to some high brush. I lost site of him at that point. When I went to find him all I found was the leaves scraped where he fell, but not even a drop of blood. I was able to trail him by the disturbed leaves for about 20 yards but never found a drop of blood. Searched for two days and never found him. I know that the bullet may not expand much but cannot believe that there was not at least a one inch hole on the exit side.

Open for comments on this one.
That's really unfortunate. Sounds like you went above and beyond to recover the animal though. I bet that bullet just punched through almost unscathed. I've tested some SMKs at short range and not been pleased with the results, though I know people have decent luck with them further out. This was the reason I developed both SMK and Accubond loads for my rifle even though I'd rather shoot 1 load for everything.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:20 PM
Bronze Member

Yes I too developed a 250 grain soft point which would have done better but I have been having such a great time long range on paper with the 300 SMK. 6-8 groups at a thousand with no wind and good results at 1400 yds. I guess I'll just have to take out the shoulder next time.