Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Where does accuracy suffer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 08:19 PM
Silver Member

Re: Where does accuracy suffer?

This is where they were seated for the LA 284 I had built before.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:26 PM
Silver Member

Here is the rifle.

#4 Shilen Chambered 284 Win
Holland lug
Blueprinted Rem Trigger
B&C Medalist
Tubb firing pin assy.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:21 PM
Gold Member

That was too heavy? What did it weigh? From your spec's, it looks like it should have been a great hunting rifle. I really like what I have been reading about that chambering.
My rifle, similarly built but with a carbon fiber stock, came in at 6.8 lbs without scope. It's a great walking varmint rifle, and likewise a pretty fair elk rifle. Mine is a .270 WSM
Old 09-07-2013, 05:40 AM
Silver Member

Field ready with a nylon sling and a full compliment of 150gr b-tips she went 10.5 lbs. The Shilen was cut to 24" and I had dual dovetail rings and bases on her. I considered a full flute and bolt handle job along with some Talleys. But I got a fair price for her and would sooner have a stainless action. This one was off of an old 06 I took in on trade.

As for the round. It gives up nothing to the straight up 280 in a long action. We chambered it to put the base of a 150gr a-bond or b-tip flush with the bottom of the neck with a kiss of the lands. It never went over 1/2 MOA out to 400 with what I intended to hunt with. I want to land closer to 7.5 # field ready and would settle for 8.5 . I still have a bunch of 284 brass here. I was playing with the O.A.L. in the SA Remmy and the 140/150gr pills last evening. It's pretty tight. 55 or 56 grains of RL19 takes up a bunch of room. Maybe one of the short or super short cut powders would come into play. Tempting it is. The 7 SAUM would be sweet,but the way brass is getting you snooze you loose. Your 270 WSM may be the ticket. The same case length problems as the 284 in the short action,but a lot more boiler room.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:18 PM
Gold Member

It sounds like you set the rifle up nicely, but it certainly is not a light weight. I think that's a good weight for a rifle intended for 1K, but then I would want a more potent cartridge. I've had two .300 WSM's and now this .270. I've been happy with the performance of these rounds. Being a 7mm fan I would have had mine chambered that way had I commissioned the rifle. I bought it NIB from someone else who made me a deal I was not going to let pass.
My rifle, at a good 2 lbs lighter than yours, still has enough heft to settle right in for 500+ yard shots on marmots, but is light enough to make a good backpacking rifle.
The Stiller Predator action has a long enough magazine I believe you could chamber for a seating depth similar to what you currently have.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:26 AM
Silver Member

That would be sweet. Unfortunately they are a little out of reach. I wish I could swing one though. Maybe I could scrounge one up used somewhere.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:34 PM
Gold Member

My first custom was built on a trued Rem 700 with a Wyatt magazine box and had a trigger job done on the factory trigger. It made a dandy rifle. It had a 4 taper Pac-Nor 24" barrel. The stock was a McMillan with what they called light fill at that time, early 90's. The bare rifle weighed 7 lbs.
I wonder what you would have by replacing the magazine box, replacing the stock with something really light, and maybe having the action lightened. Cost wise it could be effective, or maybe that expense combined with what you can get from the rifle become your down payment on the new one.
(insert big grin here). I surfed the gun auction sites and the classifieds on several internet forums for a year or so while I considered just what I wanted in a light hunting rifle and how I was going to pay for it. I happened across my rifle on gunbroker.com and watched it fail to sell for a couple weeks before making an offer and buying the rifle. I had been debating 6.5-284 or 7 WSM, but 270 WSM was right in there.