Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Where does accuracy suffer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 05:24 PM
Silver Member

Re: Where does accuracy suffer?

Thanks MudRunner

A little heavy for what I have in mind,but I bet it was a shooter. I agree with your read on the 308. Fortunately I don't feel comfortable much over 400 in the field. Maybe I can find some middle ground between your rig and where the 243 is now.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:38 PM
Platinum Member

A 6.5 Creedmoor is always a great caliber for a short-action rifle. You could always go with a 22" Krieger #3 and that should net you a little less weight, with a very potent caliber, using Lapua brass and 140 Berger VLD's.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:27 PM
Gold Member

I've had two Kimber Montana rifles, a .243 and a .300WSM that both shot sub-moa. I used the .243 to shoot a number of marmots as far as 565 yards.

My current elk rifle weighs 8 lbs scoped with a Nightforce compact. Still, it is a half MOA rifle. I made two first shot kills on marmots at 631 yards last weekend, and this is typical accuracy from that rifle. Because it is a light rifle and the .270 cal. 140 gr VLD's are only a .488 BC, it starts to get blown around badly when ranges get into the 800's.

I had an HS precision ultra light for a few weeks once. It was a solid 1.5 MOA rifle. .300WSM. I shot several different loads in it then sold it. Not good enough accuracy.

Here's the .270 WSM. Built by Allen Precision, aka fiftydriver here on LRH.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Where does accuracy suffer?-631-yd-2.jpg  
Old 09-04-2013, 07:41 PM
Silver Member

Sweet! Pardon my tired eyes,is that a short action? I was concerned about the VLDs in a Remmy short action magazine. The nice thing about the Mountain Guide is it already has the Gen 1 Ti stock on it,and I just love the way it feels. My B-in-Law has an LSS Remington 270 WSM. He had it "gone over" and pillar bedded. That thing will one hole 140gr ballistic tips over RL19. I think its Rl 19. At any rate,it is a sweetie. That rig you have there @ 8 lbs would be fantastic. I'm sitting on a small pile of Colorado Muley points,and that would be sweet for filling the tag.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:02 PM
Gold Member

It's as sweet as it looks!
It is a short action, but with the way the barrel is throated my rounds easily fit the magazine and bullets still touch the lands.

Stiller Predator action, Satern #4 taper fluted barrel, Jewell trigger, Manners MCS-SL carbon fiber stock.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:16 PM
Silver Member

Too bad New Castle is so far from Gunnison. I'll be in Gunnison the 10th of Oct for lunch and supplies. We could have had a handshake and a howdy. Thanks for the info and that's a dandy rig.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:29 PM
Gold Member

Going hunting? Good luck if so.