Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Where did I go wrong

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2011, 08:50 AM
Silver Member

Re: Where did I go wrong

Cosine of angle
5 deg - .4 /100 .996
10 deg - 1.5/ 100 .985
15 deg - 3.5/ 100 .966
20 deg - 6 / 100 .940
25 deg - 9.5/ 100 .906
30 deg -13.5/100 .866
35 deg -18 / 100 .819
40 deg -23.5/100 .766
45 deg -29.5/100 .707
50 deg -35.5/100 .643
55 deg -42.5/100 .574
60 deg - 50 / 100 .500

From this cosine chart, practicing your shots and collecting data at a 10 degree and shooting at a 20 degree angle would result in shooting high. The difference between the two is about 4.5 yards per 100 yards or 36 yards at 800. That is only a little over 1MOA on my charts. The wind from 7:00 has to be a big part of the problem and I would guess you are shooting Reloader powder! Having and correcting errors are what make this game fun. At least you corrected and made the shot. Too many people would have blamed shooter error and would have kept trying without correcting. You had the tools you needed and due to lots of practice you knew what to do to correct and made a great shot on a great buck!
Old 11-24-2011, 09:32 AM
Silver Member

I was using Nosler Custom Brass, 142 Grain SMK, 68 grains of Retumbo with Winchester Magnum primers. I'm on my 5th loading with 100 rounds of this brass and does not seem to be any signs of pressure.
Chrony Chronograph with printer showed an average velocity of 3170 with an ES of 15 if I remember right.
Rifle was a Rem 700 Sendero II in .264WM that was box stock and had been broken in with the shoot one and clean method for 50 rounds and then just shoot the hell out of it.

Optics was a Leupold MK 4 TMR reticule 6.5X20X50 30MM tube mounted on Leupold one piece base and rings.

All this and using a Harris S type bi-pod.

1600 Leica LRF.

Sierra 6 ballistic program.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:37 AM
Bronze Member

I would guess that your range estimation was off for that large of a difference .

Also, think about getting a Leupold Mk IV spotting scope with the TMR reticle. It would exactly match your scope, provide consistent spotter and shooter information, and probably be easier for newer shooting partners to "get it".

Congratulations!
Old 11-24-2011, 10:37 AM
Platinum Member

So far every time I've ran into this it has been range error on my part. Every time it has been an animal getting ranged and I'm on it waiting till it turns and it's moving away much more than I thought and I run it right under them or at their feet. After every miss I've re shot the shot at a target or rock at the spot the animal was at and ranging back to where I shot from, every time I'm dead nuts on given the correct data.
In field ballistics programs and some device for current environmental data help eliminate a lot of, "what just happened."

Nice buck and great story!
Old 11-24-2011, 11:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
All this and using a Harris S type bi-pod.
One of the things I ran into last year was that I had to place the bipod on a slanted sidehill angle and then loosen the podlock and level the rifle and lock the podlock again and in the end I really torqued the feet following the animals as they moved and I waited for a still shot. All of this stressed and torqued the fore end of the rifle until it caused serious issues with point of impact. Whether I caused barrel contact with the fore end channel or just affected the recoil movement I do not know. Anyway it is something to check when you get around to it.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:34 PM
Silver Member

This long range shooting stuff is just getting to complicate for me. Seriously, I was on site this morning, considering writing a post, why I feel every beginner should start out with a 308 winchester. The main reason, would have been for the ability to practice, practice, practice. In some hunting camps, there would be guys judging you for taking such a shot, and to be totally honest, I use to be one of those guys. Even though things didn't work out as planned, I do not fault you at all, because you practiced and practiced for that shot.

I've had things go horrible at less than a hundred yards. That experience was on my first big game animal (a small Mulley buck). I was with my grandfather, my mentor into hunting and shooting. He had four girls. I was the first boy born into the family, so he and I had a very special relationship. I got into a position were I took a standing shot, in very cold winter conditions, and pulled the shot 2', hitting the deer just in front of the rear quarters. To make the story short, I did harvest that deer, but the whole experience brought me to tears. That experience made me overly critical of other hunters who didn't seem to respect the game that they shot at.

It's a long story how I became a long range hunter. One that if I told, others on this sight might looked down on me. But I can honestly say, that the only reason I can be an advocate of the sport, is the morality of this sight. The senior members in my opinion, are not trying to advance the popularity of this sport at all cost. They only try to educate all about what long range hunting is. They do so with knowledge, experience, and respect even when they are attacked in return.

There are people and groups just waiting for any reason to condemn this sport. So at times as hunters, we can't tell that story about how things went badly. BillR I want to thank you for sharing this, I commend you for doing so, and for taking the effort to figure out what happened with that shot. VERY MORRAL AND RESPONSIBLE OF YOU!!! I have learned more lately from others sharing about the misses. The main thing I have learned is the vast majority of hunters are caring responsible individuals.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:45 PM
Silver Member

BillR don't bother beating your head on the wall because it doesn't improve LR shooting, If it did then I would be the worlds absolute finest shot, instead I have the worlds largest headache! We tend to get caught up in what we read, way too many folks talking about the best that has ever happened and not too many talking about the reality of what just happened! Cold shot is like 139 times harder that target shooting. The barrel thing is different for me though, I absolutely love it when someone toasts their barrel in 3 months time, it gives me something to do Ya know!