Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Where did I go wrong

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2011, 12:11 PM
Silver Member

Re: Where did I go wrong

I see this type of results a lot with a team effort. It's a lack of familiarity between spot and shot. A personal language on both sides. He was calling level and you were shooting Vertical. Both were probably over all correct. One good way to demonstrate and learn a common language is to practice with each other on a small target that is on the ground and on a slope going down hill from you. A small difference can show up as feet or even yards from the target when looking for the impact, as where when shooting standard targets that present a flat surface that is facing you the difference will show up as inches. The difference between the two perspectives is amazing. I feel confidant that if the two of you took some time out and went long range varmint shooting that within a couple of weekends the two of you will be in very good sync with each other. Something else that might help would be to call radians that are observable instead of abstract moa or just call actual distances instead of clickity click.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:15 PM
Silver Member

Yes I will remember this one forever. I'm not much for having heads mounted on my walls, matter of fact I have none. I have take a large number of Whitetail bucks as big but never had an opportunity to hunt Mule deer. My goal when I started was not so much to take a big buck but to take one at 1000 yds. After this hunt I see I need better equipment in some area's. But all that said, I am very proud of this deer and it will be the one deer I have on the wall. It will probably be in a European mount though. Just something to put up in my gun room to look at and remember once in a while.

Its a good possibility your correct Ken. My shooting partner was not there that day and the one I was shooting with I had only shot a couple times with but he was the one I was able to hunt with that day. I called his shots on two deer and he was able to connect on his first shot on one at 800 and on his second deer he didn't listen and missed his first shot and then settled down and drilled it on his second at 550. He is just getting into long range shooting and still trying to wrap his mind around it. So am I

Last edited by BillR; 11-23-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm learning something new that I have always wanted to try and love it. Now if you have a problem with it I suggest that you find another forum to do your posting on rather than doing it in Long Range Hunting.
Well said!
Old 11-23-2011, 12:24 PM
Platinum Member

Hello Bill,

I just ran some of your numbers through the Exbal program, and thought I'd pass this on.

It's saying that a moving target of 2mph requires a 4 moa lead at 800 yds. If the buck was quartering up at lets say a 45 degree angle, I'd guess that it would still require a 2moa lead and a 2moa holdover.?

Possible that there were some vertical winds too that day? Like down drafts between you and deer?

This is only an educated guess, but I am thinking that there was a combination of things happening to you, and the full extent of those things may never be known and may not even be repeatable if you went back to the same spot and re-did it tomorrow.?

In one of Shawn Carlocks' videos there is a segment of "when things go wrong" it shows a similar missing situation at a buck deer. He attributed it to unseen and unknown winds in the steep canyon country.

Nice buck though, and congratulations on getting it done even after the misses. I like the character and the kickers.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:26 PM
Gold Member

I gotta love this web site.....I have been using various editions of the Sierra program for years.....I saw you said you used zero degrees, and I though you were talkin temperature!!!!!! I figured you were lost in space. I didn't have a clue that you can plug in up/down angle. Sheeezzz......you would have though a numbers nerd like me woulda/coulda/ shoulda figured that one out about a hundred years ago. It was right there in front of me all along!! Now I have a WHOLE NEW SET OF PERAMETERS THAT CAN PLAY WITH NOW. Maybe now I can be at least slightly educated about the whole up hill, down hill thing.

I am soooooo excited. I learned something today...on a hump day, no less!
Old 11-23-2011, 11:20 PM
Platinum Member

I misread your initial post when I replied the other night and got some things twisted around.

I Read "Five inches low" not 5 feet HA!.

There are still just a heck of a lot of variables here which can cause such a low miss but... .

Are you sure you dialed up the proper MOA?

It is highly possible as someone else suggested that you got an errant range reading or possibly even misread it.

Since you were consistently low, it's less likely to be mechanical error.

The variation in altitutde, temp, humidity is just not enough to affect the bullet that much, but depending on what powder you were using if it was dramatically colder that could certainly affect your drop.

Also I said something backwards, that's what I get for reading and typing when I'm half awake.

Greater humidity will not reduce velocity, it has the opposite effect until you get to the point of actual precip.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:31 AM
Silver Member

Now you all know why I beat my head against the wall on this one. I and my regular shooting partner practiced at different ranges all summer till this should of been a chip shot. I almost quit shooting after the first shot due to the amount of error I spotted. It worked on the other range I was shooting at. I raised my head and double checked the drops thinking Old man did you screw up. Nope drops are correct. Spotter called the same amount of drop addition again thinking I hadn't dialed up even though he watched me. Kind of spooked him a bit thinking he was wrong also. When I dialed up the second time and shot we were both scratching our heads and butts. Especially when it appeared to hit about the same amount low. It took long enough for the bullet to get there that I was back on the gun again and spotted my own shot that time and then I knew what to do and dialed up and hit it.
At this point I'm finding too many variables I might not have right that can only be corrected buy more practice. Hate to say this but I shot that gun so much this summer that the barrel probably will not last till next season. So I'm going to quit beating my head against the wall for now and just be happy with my buck and go on. But I will bet you I have it figured out by next year. I still want that 1000 yd deer.