Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

When isnt it hunting anymore ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2009, 08:02 PM
Platinum Member

Re: When isnt it hunting anymore ?

Mike, is your bobcat tag good for my area? I could show you a good spot if it is.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:26 PM
Sponsor

I say it is hunting if it is legal to do. Most critics of long range hunting don't know or have ever seen real long range hunting. Most have a terrible misconception about it and then run their yaps about how it is not this or that and that thier way of hunting is "real hunting". This attitude puts them in the narrow minded, run your mouth, dumbass catagory and are just not worth much of my time.

Oh yeah, those that can do and those that can't bitch.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 12-31-2009, 09:39 PM
Silver Member

Long range or short range, it's all hunting. I find that I do more trophy type hunting when I can shoot longer ranges because I see more animals and have more time to judge. They enjoyment comes from putting in your time to know the area, glassing and finding the critters, and then putting a good stalk/shot on them to seal the deal. Many of the areas I hunt are thick cover areas that I have found a few openings in, your shot opportunities are 700 yards or 40 yards so basically it's shoot now or go elsewhere.

That being said, I do love to hunt elk in thick cover. You can't really trophy hunt in close cover but the excitement is thick when a herd of elk gets up 10 yards away and starts crashing through the brush while I run behind throwing .338s at an elk to try to get it on the ground. That's good business!
Old 12-31-2009, 11:11 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Carlock View Post
Most critics of long range hunting don't know or have ever seen real long range hunting. Most have a terrible misconception about it .......... are just not worth much of my time.
Until a month ago, I was that guy, and you sir are one of those that changed my perception of LRH.

Sometimes all ya need to do is educate the ignorant.

Jus' sayin'.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:12 AM
Platinum Member

cedarswamp1, welcome aboard glad to have you here. Watch out for them there gators.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:06 AM
Platinum Member

My boss was firmly anti long range hunting, to the point he told me anything over 300yrds is just flinging lead and he wouldn't ever hunt with anyone who did it. One day I took my rifle in and showed him, he realized it is set up a little different so I got him out to the range and set up my gun for him. He saw first hand that when set up right taking everything into consideration that good first shot hits are not flinging lead.
He shot all the way out to 1000yrd pounding the gongs and dialing, with help but he is now firmly behind the ethics of longrange hunting, just taking the time to show a guy and let him see what it actually is makes a big difference, let the gun do the talking goes a long ways to help guys understand the difference between lead slingers and LRH, I'm far from being good at LRH but even I with patience can contribute to how this way of hunting is precieved by those aroung me. We all can!!

Nobody really says it but I really like the shot and the kill, I don't really care how big it is, mosly how it will taste. I enjoy being out but I am there to make a kill and I do enjoy the kill, some don't think that is really hunting but I'm more in the mind set that the kill is my pay of for good hunting. I really like LRH for the time it affords you to glass the game and really study what is going on in that moment then setting up the shot and planning for the shot then making the shot that you have chosen and making a clean kill with a well place bullet. I find LRH has the same thrill and skills needed as bow hinting and I love both

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 01-01-2010, 11:28 AM
Sponsor

Cedarswamp,

Glad you came over from the darkside and happy to have you. Sorry if I seemed a little short about the uneducated masses out there. I have been long range hunting for over 20 years (long before it was the cool thing to do) and have grown frustrated in trying to sell my position on it. I still take what ever time is necessary to educate those that show any interest what so ever. The people I was mostly refering to are the crowds that flatly put down LRH and the people that do it, sometimes coming right down the cussing matches and fighting words. It is the attitude that "I heard about those long range guys and it just dosen't seem right to me so with out any information at all I am going to face right up to them and tell them what a bunch of unethical ******** I think it is blah, blah ,blah." I believe that we do need to educate people about LRH but some people you can tell'em you just can't tell'em much.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659