Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

When isnt it hunting anymore ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2009, 01:00 AM
Platinum Member

Re: When isnt it hunting anymore ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp6x6 View Post
IGUESS I'm at the wrong end of the state, it has to be easier than what I do, somewhere. Most peole in Mt around here dont see 13 , 300 type bulls in their hunting career. I WOULD GUESS that you have a wall of 6x6?
This is the first year any thing would go 300, he's been taking a few poor bulls and a bunch of cows so the quality is really coming back.
Have never shot a big bull, I have drawn back on a couple 320 class bulls but never had the shot with a bow. Rifle season, the first fat legal elk in front of me gets it Gotta secure the hamburger, I'm setting good for meat so I think next year I'll make a big push for 350's class bull, I've gotta plan
Old 12-30-2009, 01:46 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

"When isn't it hunting anymore?"

When the person behind the trigger looses the passion for being in the field. As far as long range hunting goes, a good friend of mine kind of coined a phrase that sums it up, Those that can DO, those that can't BITCH!!!!

I would never tell anyone that their method of hunting is anything but hunting, AS long as they are efficent at cleanly harvesting the game they are hunting.

Personally, I would bet I pass up on FAR more mature bucks every year then most are able to see. I also know that in many parts of the country and even my state that if there are horns its dead. After putting 6 whitetails on the ground that average over 150" B&C, I often let bigger bucks walk then most would ever consider doing.

Let me be clear about my feelings, KILLING is not hunting, Hunting to me is being in the field, WITH the animals and when done correctly, the game animals and the environment you are putting yourself into has no idea you are there and when done correctly, you can hunt the same area day after day and see game every day.

Long Range Hunting IS the very best way to hunt in this maner and have little to any negative impact on the patterns of big game animals.

When the time comes to punch a tag, that is not the defining time of being a hunter, its the hours, days, weeks and months and even years leading up to that point in time. When the time comes to pull the trigger, that is the END of the hunt, not the hunt itself.

Simply put, do what you want, where you want. A good hunter is able to move into the wild field, unnoticed by most others in that natural element and when the time comes efficently and cleanly harvest the big game animal you decide to take.

This debate comes up all the time, again, I fall back on my friends comments, Those that can do, those that can't BITCH!!!

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 12-30-2009, 02:02 AM
Gold Member

OK, I have to throw in my $.02. After reading the first several posts, the word "Sniper" was thrown around several times. A person is a Sniper only after he has been formally trained as a Sniper. I'm willing to bet that 90% of the guys that claim to be Snipers, aren't even close to qualifying as one. I was trained as a Designated Marksman, not a Sniper. Besides, hunting is not Sniping. Your target can't shoot back.

If this was covered in another post, sorry about the repeat.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all." Marine General Mattis

Custom built 7mm SAUM
Old 12-30-2009, 07:44 PM

Deer continue to mass produce despite increased limits. There were an estimated 400,000 - 500,000 whitetail in NOrth America at the time Columbus discovered America (don't ask, I don't know who was doing the counting). There are now 25,000,000. We're not killing enought. They are like geese, rabbits, mice and rats.

Muzzleloading is way more humane than having 10 guys drive deer, then having 2-3 guys firing away with shotguns hoping to hit some part of the deer. I'd outlaw shotgun hunting (or at least driving deer). We are finding way to many mangled deer. One shot - make it count. I agree with you, don't take a shot unless you are 90%+ you are making a clean kill. Let your skills dictate the distance. My friend took a 180+ (score) deer at 182 yards with a Savage Muzzleloader - got both shoulders and the lungs. I wont go over 125 or less. He is better than me. The Savage is good to go at 200+ with smokeless powder at 2,350 fps.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:34 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcgolfer View Post
My friend took a 180+ (score) deer at 182 yards with a Savage Muzzleloader - got both shoulders and the lungs. I wont go over 125 or less. He is better than me. The Savage is good to go at 200+ with smokeless powder at 2,350 fps.
You should read some of the flak I've taken for taking one at 338 yds with a conventional inline...I swore of inaccurate shotgun hunting long ago.

Of course I do most of my ML shooting at 300-400 yds and occasionally out to 500. I don't really care about range when I go hunting, I'd belly crawled 400 yards to shoot a buck at 20 yds five minutes before the 338 yd shot and I thought they were both challenging hunts in their own ways.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:58 AM
Silver Member

the rush you get when close too a huge buck is awsome but the rush you get from a long range kill is eaven better.
l was in the himaleyas (toros mountains, Turkey) last year stalkin beozar ibex, got 200 yards within the females but the huge 12 year old male was very sneaky and wouldnd come out of cover. waited there for 2 hours for a good shot opertunety but the females saw us at the end and started to run and out came the 12 year old, it was massive man biggest one l have ever seen. he wouldnt stop runing. an imposible shot to take cause of the steep tarein,and the animal moving all over the place. waited patiantly looking throgh my scope(Zeiss 3-12-56 with range finder) and the animal stoped at 637 meters right on top of a huge cliff. so l didnt wait at all and took the shot.HEYM SR 30 7mm rem mag 150 grain sp goes balistic. the huge ibex just stans there for a second or two and comes tumbeling down that cliff. now if this is not hunting what is. well saying long range shots are not hunting is just a bunch of bull ****. its hunting at its best.......
Old 12-31-2009, 02:00 PM
Silver Member

I don't long range hunt I just hunt. But if I wasn't prepared for a long range shot I wouldn't have gotten my first mule deer this year.
The deer spotted me first about 80 yds away and moved out of site and minutes later came in view but over 500 yds away. Did I have to guess how far to hold over him for a shot, no just pulled out the Leica got the range, had my info from my Kestral 4000 in my phone got my moa adj and took the shot. DRT and I found out mule deer taste good too.
Sunday I had a different situation and had a coyote run into my back knocking off my boonie and getting away because I didn't get the 'safety' off when I turned around and pulled the trigger. He was in hyperdrive and gone out of site before I could do anything more but laugh.
Which hunt was better, not really sure. I wouldn't want to give up either one.
Now if I just could get a bobcat that would be a great way to end the year.