Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

When do you bed??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 05:04 PM
Silver Member

When do you bed??

I've just bought a Mcmillan stock. It's my first one and i was wondering when do you guys bed? or when do you not. I've never done a bedding job, so i thought about trying it on this rifle. Mcmillan says that most of their machining is precise enough as to aleviate the need for bedding. Just going to see what you all thought.
Nimrod
Old 12-11-2011, 08:20 PM
Silver Member

Re: When do you bed??

Never hurt by bedding. Do a good job and it can only help; not to mention, it's a cheap tune-up.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:27 PM
Bronze Member

Usually about 11 but some nights as late as 11:30
Old 12-12-2011, 12:04 AM
Platinum Member

Usually before the first shot. Why waste expensive bullets?
Old 12-12-2011, 12:17 AM
Silver Member

Maybe i should just sleep on it..... in all honesty i'd like to be proficient at simple gunsmithing tasks....like bedding. I'm thinking of trying it out on my .22 a remington 504. especially since the nearest gunsmith to me now is a ways away. Anyways, I'm not wanting to ruin my new Mcmillan, so i'll start somewhere else.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:27 AM
Silver Member

That's a great idea....starting somewhere else. I'm not great at bedding stocks, but I'm better than I was when I first started. It's soooo easy to put in too much bedding compound and almost glue your action to the stock.

Definitely practice on a less expensive stock so that if you end up having to grind some of the bedding compound back out because you used too much, your not going to be heartbroken about doing it on your new McMillan.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:32 AM
Gold Member

I have never seen a rifle shoot any worse by bedding it... I have seen them shoot better though.

I would practice on a less expensive stock also...MCM are getting up there in $$$

Jon