Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

What's your guys' way to estimate distance while LR hunting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2004, 06:00 PM

What\'s your guys\' way to estimate distance while LR hunting?

I've been hunting in california for all my life, and the distances are so short you don't even need to really account for the bullet's trajectory (though I do). I'm heading on down to arizona for the next 4 years, so this might just change, and I was just wondering how some of you guys judge distance. Do you trust your intuition, use a range estimating reticle, laser range finder, super long tape measures [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]? This is obviously a foreign skill for me and I'm just trying to learn up to make myself a better hunter.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:07 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What\'s your guys\' way to estimate distance while LR hunting?

There should be several reference posts on this site somewhere about this but we'll chat about it here too I guess.

For accurate long range hunting the distance must be known accurately, not an estimate in the less than accurate sense.

For hunting I use a laser rangefinder unless I've built a range card, know the distance from previous laser ranging sessions or it's obviously close (200 yards or less). For sniper competitions I use a MilDot reticle but the target size is known and the MilDot works well in that environment.

There are also folks that use optical rangefinders like the Barr and Stroud and likes.

[ 07-22-2004: Message edited by: Dave King ]
Old 07-22-2004, 06:33 PM

Rangefinder only. Guys here turned me on to a Leica 1200 I believe is the correct name and model. Still haven't ordered one, but definitely will when I get all of my pennies together (and definitely before I go hunting)
Old 07-22-2004, 08:26 PM
Gold Member

I shoot where I live, so over time I have set up paper in numerous locations, punched holes and noted the elevation on the scope. So if I see anything I want to poke, I dial in and squeeze. Kinda like cheat'in ain't it. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
db
Old 07-22-2004, 08:35 PM
Silver Member

...go for the Leica laser rangefinder...
Old 07-22-2004, 08:35 PM

>>>Rangefinder only. Guys here turned me on to a Leica 1200 I believe is the correct name and model. Still haven't ordered one, but definitely will when I get all of my pennies together (and definitely before I go hunting)<<<

I just looked that thing up on the internet. Does the fact that it's 20lbs bother you? [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 07-22-2004, 08:52 PM
Bronze Member

bulldog,
I don't know what you looked up on the internet, but it was not the Leica 1200. It almost fit's in your shirt pocket! You must have looked up a Wild or one of the other optical range finders.

Bill