Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

What's your favorite rain gear?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2009, 11:37 AM

What's your favorite rain gear?

Do you prefer to keep it simple with a poncho or do you go high tech with Gore-Tex or some other miracle fiber?

What do you prefer and why?

Or do you just avoid hunting in the rain?
Old 11-10-2009, 12:02 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What's your favorite rain gear?

I live where I hunt so I pick the days I hunt. I donít hunt in the rain but of course you can always get caught out. I love to hunt when there is snow on the ground its cold and itís snowing lightly. I tried all kinds of Gore-Tex rain gear and it always started to leak after a year or two. I got my hands on a Helly Hanson rain coat and have never looked back. Nothing trick about it just keeps you dry. Itís about 10 years old now and is still in the backpack.

I also use a poncho when horseback. Itís the same as the ones used in the military. I prefer it compared to a whole rain suit.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 11-10-2009, 12:52 PM
Bronze Member

Depending on application.
Marmot Oracle, HH Impertech II, Grundens

George
Old 11-10-2009, 02:10 PM
Silver Member

Oh man - it all depends on what kinda hunting you're doing and how hard it's raining

If i'm in one spot and at a distance, a G-tex gets the job done - anymore just pick one from a reputable seller so if there's problems you can get a refund or replacement. I also like mountaineering/winter camping and have been playing outside in winter for alot of years and g-tex stuff has come along way. I remember when it was new on the scene and too expensive for the "Average Joe".

Times have changed and i've since used The North Farce, Marmot, Mountain Hardwear, EMS, Cabela's and US Issue. Unfortunately, g-tex type jackets/parka's are noisy so if you're stalking, a water-repellent fleece will work better (also do a google search for soft-shell g-tex - lotsa excellent options for hunting application there).

Most recently, i bought a plain-Jane g-tex un-insulated shell from Cabela's for ~ $100 and it works great. it replaced my $460 Mountain Hardwear ice-climbing jacket that was de-laminating (MH gave me a $460 credit toward whatever they sold and i got a wicked nice down parka and a lgt-wgt rainshell).

Whatever you decide, make sure it's way long on the backside to cover yer rear-echelon....
Old 11-10-2009, 04:12 PM
Platinum Member

I use Gore-Tex from head to toe. Hadnt had a problem so far. I dont care if it is raining or not, if I am hunting. I also take a cheap plastic poncho, just in case it rains very hard, that way I protect my gear, rifle and backpack.
I dont hunt in snow, only eventually we get snow on the highlands in the mountains I hunt in, so I hadnt proved my equipment in snowing conditions.
Probably the guys that hunt in Alaska can give us a great advice about rain gear???
Old 11-10-2009, 11:16 PM

I ALWAYS have my Cabelas packable raingear in my pack...great stuff to get you back to the truck...once there I put on my Browning Hydro Fleece GTX and head back out...it rains on me every year during bow season in SW Montana and these systems worked the best for me...I move alot and find that if I wear traditional heavy raingear, it seems to rain on both sides of the stuff The Cabelas packable is light so it's always there, and good enough to sit out a thunder boomer, but if I knowing go into the nasty stuff it's GTX all the way....hope this helps....dan
Old 11-11-2009, 12:21 AM
Platinum Member

+1 for Helly Hanson. I'm a carpenter and I use the HH raingear, I love it. I hunt with it and love it. Its affordable at about $160 for the pants and jacket. I dont sweat badly in it, it is 100% water-proof, light, and is Olive drab. I have over 100 hours in mine, working.