Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Whats wrong with the good ole 7mm?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 07:28 PM
Gold Member

Re: Whats wrong with the good ole 7mm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrodmar10 View Post
The only problem I've ever seen with the 7 mag is that most most of the older guns do not have a fast enough twist to shoot the heavyweight high BC VLD bullets. They do great with up to 160 grain bullets but won't stablize the heavier ones.
I gotta disagre somewhat with this statement....I have my dads old 7mm as my lightweight "bush/walking" gun....It is the original bbl/action with a different stock. The gun dates back to the early 60's...one of the first out. Dad just had to have it!!! I broke the factory stock in 1980...replaced it with another factory 700 ADL stock....it shoots the 168/180 JLKs wounderfull. My brothers 7mm, as a factory gun before he rebarrelled it in the 80's also shot the 160 nostler partition and I think he also shot a 175 Sierra...gun shot very well. Now, my brothers tube is long gone, but mine is still factory. I should test to see what the twist actually is....all I know is it is OLD and still shoots GREAT....especialy the 180's. I even shot it off of the bipod in the factory class in 1000 br in Pella Ia. a couple years ago...bad day...but still....14" five shot in comp with a light weight, rickidy old factory 7 mag isn't laughable. It has shot much better...I carry those targets in my wallet!!!.......JUST KIDDING!!!

For you Remmingtonfiles out there...just what is the twist of my old 7mm? I can have the serial # in a jiff.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:13 PM
Platinum Member

Every cartridge has its pro's and con's. The 7mm RM is a great all around hunting cartridge for big game.

Nonetheless, there are plenty of other 7mm's that offer one or more of the following: more velocity, better brass, non-belted, short action, easier to load, less recoil, sex appeal, etc...

Unfortunately, you can't have it all in any one cartridge. So, we often speak of balance. But, that's entirely subjective.

I love my 7mm RM. But, I've been thinking of building another 7mm. The next one will likely be 284 Win or 284 Shehane as more of a target rifle.

In addition to improved jackets, bullets, and twists, new powders have also opened some doors for experimentation.

-- richard
Old 11-10-2011, 08:07 AM
Platinum Member

no lapua brass. other wise GREAT.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninflag View Post
no lapua brass. other wise GREAT.
I agree. But, Norma's not bad. ...belted nonetheless
Old 11-10-2011, 07:19 PM
Gold Member

I just can't get over all of the whinin over the damm belt. Forget the belt, people...for the purpose of accuracy reloading, it doesn't exist. Headspace off of the sholder with a minimum bump and enjoy it!! If I had to pick the pros and cons of the 7mm, the belt would be twelvteenth on the list of cons. Same token... it wouldn't make my list at all on the pro side.

I agree on one thing...no Lapua brass.....Gotta love Lapua brass!!!
Old 11-10-2011, 10:46 PM
Silver Member

Great discussion!

I'm a bit partial since I just bought a 7 RM. So far I love it. Of course I'm building a list of things to buy for it, but could easily live with it as is, if that's the only choice I had.

One thing that surprised me was the lack of "brutal recoil" that I'd always heard about. Mine is just a factory Weatherby Vanguard with the (JUNK) plastic stock, so it's not heavy. Oh well, I guess some are just more recoil sensitive than others.

And believe it or not, that was the one thing that held me back from the 7 RM for so many years----tales of hard recoil. Hell.....I should have bought one a looooong time ago. I love it.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:19 PM
Gold Member

A 7 MM Rem mag was my first big game rifle. I still have it. In preparation for my last elk hunt I pulled several rifles from the safe to practice with. I ended up using my old 7 mag because it shot better than any of the others. It's a good round.

Now, I don't use it any more for eastern deer hunting since it does more damage than necessary at the ranges I hunt. I've gone to a 25-06 that has almost identical speed & drop as my 7 mag with much less destroyed meat.

If I were to buy my first 7 MM now it would likely be a WSM, as that cartridge has the same ballistics as the 7 MM Rem mag in a short action with no belt.