Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

What's would be your "DREAM HUNT" ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-24-2008, 09:04 PM
Bronze Member
Dream Hunt

I think I'd say stone's sheep/moose/caribou in BC on an old school pack train like O'Connor used to do. The rifle for that would be a 270 WCF I suppose... a custom job, maybe on a Springfield '03 action?

Actually I contributed an essay on this topic to the Weatherby Dream Hunt contest. Maybe I didn't win because the rifle in my essay wasn't a Weatherby ?

In that essay my boys were 13 years older than they are now (18 & 16 rather than 5 & 3) and we took a pack train into the Bitteroot/Selway Range of western Montana. We were on a shiras moose/mule deer combo hunt. It really was more about the boys than the hunting... my dream is that they'll love to hunt like I do, that it'll bring 'em together, and that it'll provide for them a haven of silence and peace from our loud and busy lifestyle.

A .35 Whelen on a Granite Mountain '98 action with a 23" Hart 1/12 barrel stocked in circassian walnut w/ a Leupold Vari-X III scope was my sidearm for that fantasy. My sons had a 270 WCF and 7-08 Rem with them.

Unread 06-25-2008, 07:56 AM
Silver Member
I'd like to go after plains game in Africa. And I'd like to get a rifle in .350 Rem Mag for it. Don't know why I have a thing for that cartridge. Makes a big hole and packs a hefty punch. .35 Whelen in a short action. Not exactly a long range cartridge; but, from what I understand, Africa hunting isn't necessarily a long range affair.

Of course, I'd have to schedule a hog hunt and moose hunt to test out the rifle before the trip. I'd put a 2-7X scope on it.