Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Whats the longest shot you would take on a brown bear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2005, 09:56 AM
Silver Member

Re: Whats the longest shot you would take on a brown bear

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="purple"> Also I agree with the old African rule of using a 40 caliber minimum on dangerous game.

[/ QUOTE ] </font> </font>
There's a good reason it's an <font color="red"> Old </font> rule - they didn't have hi velocity guns or bullets (like Accubond) that could utilize them. Even with a a lower velocity gun like the 6BR, the Old rule would never allow taking an antelope at 800 yards are even 460 in high gusting winds. GG breaks the Old African Rule
I like Mike / Tx idea - go for the long shot and for added insurance, get life insurance [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2005, 08:40 PM
Gold Member

Should get the Brown like we catch Polar Bears, cut hole in ice,place fish in front of the hole when the Polar Bear bends over to get the fish you just kick him in the ice hole.Must have good BC boot for this kind of work!!
Old 09-15-2005, 08:04 AM
Silver Member

A friend of mine shot his Grizzley at 100yds with his lapua
338. Shot it 2 or 3 times but killed it without it going but a couple steps
Old 09-15-2005, 09:37 PM
Platinum Member

If he is guided the guide will have something to say about how long the shot is and what is optimum. Guides I hunted with liked 75-120 yards, that way the bullet goes where it is aimed and has a lot of its energy. Closer than 75 and you might not get more than one additional shot - they can run charge very fast. Bottom line is not to wound one, not let it get into the brush - that is very bad.

With all due respect in my opinion you guys are wrong about taking on a brown bear with .30 cals. and even the .338 . Sure it has been done lots but it is at the bottom of the power scale if things go bad.

If I get to do another hunt I will carry nothing less than a .416, even the .375 H&amp;H can come up short when an enraged brown bear is coming on you. My partner's bear took five .375's at 28 paces, all from .375's. My bear stopped like he hit an invisible wall when the 350 grain A-Frame from my .416 Rigby hit him as he came at us - the shot was at 150, he was coming like a freight train. I could not believe how that bullet overwhelmed him, just plain dropped him flat on the sand mid-stride.

Met two guys with brand new .338 RUM's in one camp, both Remington rifles went down during their hunt. Bad luck, but not a good time for that to happen. Guides I hunted with preferred CRF M-70's - had them in .416 Rem and .375 H&amp;H.

Personally I would not consider taking a long shot the way I do with deer-family critters. Just way too dangerous, chance of bear getting into the alders and someone getting hurt. Just not worth it in my opinion. You have to experience their size and determination to respect how deadly they can be - they scare the spit out of me [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 09-15-2005, 09:55 PM
Bronze Member

Regarding GG breaking the old African rule on dangerous game, I haven't heard of wounded ground hogs charging those shooting them and killing them or pronghorn either, hence the 40 cal min on dangerous game doesn't apply.

Actually what I was describing is what I consider to good grizzly gun here in BC. I considered the CZ Safari in 505 Gibbs and 450 Rigby, but they weigh 10 or 11 pounds and have 25" barrels; so in tight quarters it makes these two much less handy. The Remington 416 stainless custom shop has a 22" barrel and a barrel band so the rifle will carry lower on my shoulder, a good feature in heavy bush. So I think the 416 Remington gives the best compromise of killing power and handiness in heavy bush. I'll sight in for 50 yds and not plan to shoot grizzlies at much more than 100 yds.

I recall Ian, one of the moderators here, telling of shooting a large brown bear with his 416 Rigby @160yds as it was charging him. Under the conditions he described he actions seemed appropriate to me. I've done some long range hunting in the 500-600 yd range and recovered two wounded animals and never left a wounded game animal in the bush. I've done some competitive shooting and I worry a little about what anti hunters would say about long range hunting in that they'd like to ban all hunting. When hunting dangerous game to me it seems reasonable to add an extra level of safety by reducing the range, now of course using a 50 cal adds quite a bit to the killing power of a rifle and increases the range at which one can kill reasonably. At this point I fell comfortable out to 500yds with my current equipment. With my 338/378 I hope to extend this out to 800yds, but it will require considerable practice this winter at long range to achieve this.
Old 09-18-2005, 06:59 PM
Gold Member

Ian what level of energy do you say is necessary to bring down the big bruins?I have never even fired at a brown bear
and was giving my two cents worth about range and cartridge and bullet performance based on what little I know about ballistics...
Old 09-19-2005, 11:36 AM
Platinum Member

Sniper2,
I would not hunt deer with a .17 rimfire even tho a .17 would no doubt kill a deer. That is how I feel about hunting brown bear with .30 cal. rifles. When you see one coming hard they are NOT from this world - I doubt that you could have too much gun. I came away from Alaska with an entirely different outlook towards bears. I have a lot of experience with black bears, a bit of time with grizzlies - had never seen a brownie. Brown bears are evil, they are pre-historic killing machines, they are not nice looking, they have beadie little eyes, very small brains, enormous muscles on their jaws that are made for one thing - killing, their shoulder muscles are about the size of your waist (unless you are a chubby guy like me). Any bear can scare the crap out of a person when they get aggressive - bown bears are worse. They can be very vocal, which is an intimidation thing that works. They are not that nice of an animal, despite what that guy from California that got munched was trying to tell the world.
Personally, I would not hunt one intentionally with a .30 or .338 mag. - simple as that. Hope to do it again, it will be with a .416 or bigger.

One brown bear kill does not make me an expert by any means, but I got some strong opinions on them big furry guys.