Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

What's the longest shot?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 08:23 AM
Silver Member

What's the longest shot?

Hey, I want to know what the longest shot either you or someone you know has made on a prairie dog with an AR 15 in 223 cal. What cartridge and what bullet was used, what distance, and how verified. I'll ask this on the Ar15 forum as well. Now be honest, ok? Only interested in the 223 or 223 A.I. cartridges for this question. if you answer here that the shot was with a bolt gun,(and specify that please) I would like to know that ,too. But not on the AR15 forum.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:37 PM
Gold Member

Re: What's the longest shot?

My grandson made a head shot one one at just over 320 yards last month.
Handload using H335 and 55 gr Sierra
Old 08-09-2013, 07:50 AM
Silver Member

AWESOME ! Great to have granddad watching the shot, eh? I am especially encouraged that there are some youth still getting in the game. Congratulations on a tough shot!
Old 08-09-2013, 08:20 AM
Platinum Member

The military claims the 5.56x45's max terminal effective range for humans is somewhere around 660 yards.

HOWEVER, I have heard folks accurately shooting paper at 1,000 with .223 bolt guns...

We don't have P-Dogs down here, so I can't be of help in that way.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:15 PM
Silver Member

Mudrunner2005, Over here in Va. we don't either. But we used to have a lot of groundhogs til coyotes took over. As to the effective range of the 223; prairie dogs KNOW it's lethal past 600 ! More on this later when some more respond about their shots. Thanks for the input !
Old 08-09-2013, 12:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnut View Post
Mudrunner2005, Over here in Va. we don't either. But we used to have a lot of groundhogs til coyotes took over. As to the effective range of the 223; prairie dogs KNOW it's lethal past 600 ! More on this later when some more respond about their shots. Thanks for the input !
I just figurd I'd put what little input I have on the .223/5.56 caliber. I have no doubt it would be lethal past 600 on something as small as a P-Dog. They're thin-skinned and very small. I could imagine it being possible to kill them at 800-1000 (tops), if I had to guess, if you could make that shot with that caliber, losing that much momentum from the lightweight bullets.

I know there's guys shooting P-Dogs over 1000 with .22-250's. I bet that's a sight to see.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:36 PM
Silver Member

Assuming one isn't worried about missing and/or wounding the critters I'm gonna opine that there are a bunch of shooters capable of regularly taking them out to 600 yds with good and fairly frequent results assuming the wind behaves and good rests being used.

I personally have witnessed a fair amount of shots in the mid 400 range and don't consider that to be much more than a good shot and not really some kind of miracle or worthy of YouTube videos.

I only wish I had the opportunity to take trips out to prairie dog land several times a year to sharpen my shooting skills. Not much will keep you more finely tuned than a target rich environment at medium to long ranges... ;)

Bob