Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Whats the ideal Caliber for hunting medium to large game?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 07:00 AM

Whats the ideal Caliber for hunting medium to large game?

I'm thinking about getting a new rifle and i'm curious to see what in you guy's opinion, is consider to be the best caliber for hunting medium to large game in Australia? please feel free to recommend any specific rifle's as-well.
Cheers, Zade
Old 08-28-2013, 11:05 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Whats the ideal Caliber for hunting medium to large game?

Never hunted Australia.......Yet! Hoping in the next few years to make a trip to visit TopShot to go Sambar hunting. If I do, I will be taking my 7mm STW with me, shooting the 180 Berger VLD's.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:23 AM
Platinum Member

Caliber - 30
Cartridge - 300 Win

Simply can't go wrong with the cartridge. Can be loaded to be not too big for little animals or too small for large animals.

Yep, that's what I suggest.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:36 AM
Bronze Member

Unless you're hunting dangerous game, the caliber choices for big game will be no different than what you'd encounter in North America. Most on this forum are going to suggest any of the 284's or 30's... standard load for under 800's and magnum for longer. For LR hunting you'll get recommendations for Sierra Game Kings, Berger VLD's, Hornady SST's and Accubond LR's. Rifles will range from custom builds, Rem action with a semi-custom, and off the rack guns that you'll need "accurizing".

IMO, if you already have a rig that you're competent using, then stick with it. Obviously, if you're just wanting a new gun, then disregard my last comment.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:38 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZKersh View Post
I'm thinking about getting a new rifle and i'm curious to see what in you guy's opinion, is consider to be the best caliber for hunting medium to large game in Australia? please feel free to recommend any specific rifle's as-well.
Cheers, Zade
That would depend on:
- If you are reloading or not
- What ranges you are intending to shoot

I would vote for the 300 win
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter can not be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.” - Jeff Cooper
Old 08-28-2013, 07:49 PM
Platinum Member

Are you based in Australia, or just wish to go there? The .300 Winchester Magnum as others have suggested covers a lot of hunting situations. Although it can be done with heavy bullets in 30 caliber, if I lived there, and buffalo, scrub bulls, and boars were available to me the .375 H&H is coming out of the safe. The 9.3's are also on that list, with the over .40 being a reasonable choice. Proper bullet choice again being important. If you're stateside the .300 magnums will work as close to perfect as any, and better than most until you make it to Australia.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:09 PM

I live in Australia.