Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Whats going on here-Reloading query.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2010, 06:38 AM
Silver Member

Whats going on here-Reloading query.

I have managed to get hold of some 75grain V-Max bullet heads and am working up a load for them.

I have them grouping very well "sub .5" @ 100 and the ES is showing at 21 and the SD is showing as 9.

Problem is when I take the targets out to 300yds the spread on paper is like a shotgun splatter. (3"+)

Whats going on.

Can you offer any advice ???

Am I missing something obvious ???
Old 09-18-2010, 06:47 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Whats going on here-Reloading query.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobsam View Post
I have managed to get hold of some 75grain V-Max bullet heads and am working up a load for them.

I have them grouping very well "sub .5" @ 100 and the ES is showing at 21 and the SD is showing as 9.

Problem is when I take the targets out to 300yds the spread on paper is like a shotgun splatter. (3"+)

Whats going on.

Can you offer any advice ???

Am I missing something obvious ???
Glad to here things are coming together. 3" is 1MOA which isn't bad. Is your barrel completely free from the stock? Can't remember if we crossed this bridge yet. It just might be wind conditions and a matter of practicing.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 09-18-2010, 08:11 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
Glad to here things are coming together. 3" is 1MOA which isn't bad. Is your barrel completely free from the stock? Can't remember if we crossed this bridge yet. It just might be wind conditions and a matter of practicing.

Tank

The barrel is completely free from stock.

Its strange as the rifle easily does .5" at 100yds. It should in theory do 1.5" at 300yds not 3-4".

Its sooooo annoying !!!
Old 09-18-2010, 08:11 AM
Silver Member

Quote:

Tank

The barrel is completely free from stock.

Its strange as the rifle easily does .5" at 100yds. It should in theory do 1.5" at 300yds not 3-4".

Its sooooo annoying !!!

Rifle is a Tikka T3 Super Varmint with a 1 in 10 twist stainless varmint barrel.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:31 AM
Platinum Member

That can be bothersome. Did you notice any kind of stringing? Vertical, horizontal? What was the tendency of the grouping?

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 09-18-2010, 09:09 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
That can be bothersome. Did you notice any kind of stringing? Vertical, horizontal? What was the tendency of the grouping?

Tank
the groups were only 1.5" verticle, but 4" horizontal
Old 09-18-2010, 09:47 AM
Platinum Member

The two things that come to mind is wind or scope parallax, if your parallax is a little out and your not positioning your head in the same place horizontally things move out side to side.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"