Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

What's everyones thought of using the 7mm 168gr or 175gr sierra matchking on deer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2011, 01:17 PM

Re: What's everyones thought of using the 7mm 168gr or 175gr sierra matchking on deer

archer;

My son used one of my 168gr Match King in 308 instead of my 165gr spritzer and couldn't understand why the deer ran off, when the deer was found two days later it was found that the bullet went through without ant expansion. The Match King is designed to have low drag for long range matches as where the Game King is designed for maximum expansion at short and long range. In my humble opinion I would use a 175gr Game King or the another bullet that is designed for hunting.
Good luck.

Matt
Old 06-29-2011, 02:29 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What's everyones thought of using the 7mm 168gr or 175gr sierra matchking on deer

Do you have access to Hornady 162grn SST's? They are relatively the same price as the Sierra's.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 06-29-2011, 03:25 PM
Bronze Member

yes i do, in fact i looked at them today. But i used to have a friend that was a scout sniper(R.I.P) and we would go out and shoot them out of his 7mag and they did great most of the time. But they had the tendency to start tumbling after 500 yards. He claimed that if it was a calm day they worked all the way out to 1500yds but if there was any wind you might as well limit yourself to 400-500 yards cause they will start tumbling.

From what i found out today goin around and lookin for bullet availability. No one has anything that im lookin for. Just The sierra varmints and the barnes that are $60 for a box of 50. So i've decided that since im going to have to order bullets anyway im gonna go with the 168gr VLD.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:30 PM
Silver Member

Tumbling???? That doesn't sound right. If they are stabilized, I don't think they'll tumble until after they go sub-sonic.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:32 PM
Platinum Member

I was thinking stability too. If he could take them to 1500 on a calm day, there is no reason they shouldn't make a 1500 on a windy day. Unless the twist was just enough to run it that far in calm air. Otherwise a tighter twist would be necessary. I would do some research as to what twist he had. IF, it was less than yours, then you will be able to shoot them just fine.

Tank
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 06-29-2011, 04:00 PM
Bronze Member

im just repeating what he said, and since he was a scout sniper and was trained for shootin long ranges i have no reason not to believe him. my longest shot so far is 750yds and i dont consider myself a expert by any means i've only been into long range huntin and shootin for a short time so i'm always lookin to learn something new. But i've settled on the VLD and from what i read its a bullet that will do the job and the distance

I'd go ask him again to verify what he was talkin about but he was killed last july.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer786 View Post
I'd go ask him again to verify what he was talkin about but he was killed last july.
I mean no offense my friend. I served for 3 years pre-9/11. I never saw any fighting but up hold the greatest respect for those who have and will.I watched an Army Sargent get put in the ground 6mo. after his baby girl was born to his wife. I cried like a baby. My grandfather was a submariner in WWII, and 1 of my cousins has already spent time in the sandbox and the another is scheduled to ship. The second is going to be up in the air if he makes it home or not. He is a engineer (explosives expert). I have many friends who have served and many that were or are snipers.

Anywho, back to the topic at hand. I realized the passing of your buddy. I was just stating if you can research the gun in question, ask the parent, or find one online, you could figure out the twist. If it is an older rifle, chances are that it won't stabilize the 162's like the newer rifles with a tighter twist.

Tank