Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

What's the deal with this?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-01-2011, 12:18 AM
Silver Member
Re: What's the deal with this?

Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
I'm not sold on the Accustock yet, I've seen a lot of guys having to tune the torque on the screws for accuracy, I think some guys are pulling out the screw or wedge and going at it like the older stocks.
There is a very specific torquing procedure if you remove the stock. It is said to have a pretty big impact on accuracy.
I have one pre-accustock synthetic stocked savage. Not much experience shooting it, but that stock is so flimsy and cheap feeling that the accustock is a big improvement in my eyes even if I end up pulling the wedge.

Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
Plus you need to load test a 200 yards min 100 yards says nothing to me
I had just installed a new scope, so I was trying to get it close, hence starting at 100. I honestly thought the scope was moving it was so bad with the bergers.
Then I swapped to the trusty accubond load without touching anything on the rifle. Took 5-6 rounds to get it on the money, then making clover leafs at 200 yards. If the load is all over the paper at 100 I don't see much point taking it any further.

Everyone here seems to be saying to jump the bergers, I was under the impression pretty much everyone jammed this bullet into the lands. Maybe I'll load up a couple with a healthy jump before I abandon them altogether.

Unread 02-01-2011, 09:20 AM
Platinum Member

That use to be the common school of thought, but guys find they shine with a good jump now.

Take Care,
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Unread 02-01-2011, 11:11 AM
Platinum Member

Jump em!! I found right at .015 was the sweet spot, my groups were progressively larger going away from .015 in both directions.
"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Unread 02-01-2011, 11:19 AM
Platinum Member

I had same problems as you, w/257 115.5-6 " at 100, same load with 87 berger, flat base or AB'S,NO ISSUE, shot a 3/8 w 86 gr. I gave up on them. I am going to play w/them more ths winter, mine is weatherby free bore. With 87 you cant even reach the lands