Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

What would you do ??????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 12:36 PM

What would you do ??????

Hey guys and Gals I have a que"s for you! I have a 375 Ruger African that a guy wants really bad and he's willing to trade me his rem 700 cdl 7mm rum for it. I was thinking about getting back into long range shooting/hunting again anyways what would you do ?????
Old 12-30-2012, 01:30 PM
Gold Member

Re: What would you do ??????

Keep the 375! 7 Ultra is a powder waster for not much more speed. My opinion anyway
Old 12-30-2012, 01:34 PM
Silver Member

I tend to agree with ultra, the rum and the stw burn ALOT of powder for a little gain over the standards. Some guys want the extra speed and are willing to trade the recoil and barrel life for it.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:36 PM
Platinum Member

I would keep it as well. Just go and get another gun for long range!
Old 12-30-2012, 01:47 PM

Thanks guys very much appreciated
Old 12-30-2012, 02:33 PM
Platinum Member

I'll offer the alternative view and say make the trade. While the 375 is a terrific caliber, a Ruger rifle is not a great platform to start with whereas a Rem700 is basically the standard on which most longrange rigs are built.

As for the 700 being 7RUM, that's not a big deal. Go ahead and shoot it 'as is' for a while....until you decide to rebarrel and then you can choose any cartridge you want. And that really puts you back in the longrange game.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:44 PM
Platinum Member

if the CDL has a decent piece of walnut on it I would check the throat for errosion, even if theres only 50 rounds down the pipe, if its good i would do it. it is important to check the thre throat no matter what with the 7 RUM because 5 shots in rapid succession can fry the throat.

I personally wouldnt shoot a 375 HH just because I like a little flatter trajectory, and would want something at least RUM size for that bullet dia. and i dont think the rugers can handle that case.
The 7mm RUM probably isnt your best bet for something to shoot a bunch, but will be a great light wieght-long range hunting rifle, and will become a real performer when the 195's hit the market.