Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

What would you buy? Help me blow some $$$

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 08:27 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What would you buy? Help me blow some $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSS View Post
liltank,
do you think there is a real difference in accuracy from an accustock model vs. a non-accustock?
I really do not need the corrosion resistance of the Weather Warrior, but if the accustock will make an appreciable difference that is likely the way I will go.

Well let me put it this way. A lot of people spend a serious amount of money to get the advantages that the Accu-stock offers. That is an aluminum bedding block specifically designed to fit the rifle of your choice that it is offered in to provide the most accuracy possible from a factory rifle. With that said, a buddy of mine has their normal synthetic that just uses a pillar bedding system and shoots very small groups. I could do the same with my VLP. His only complaint (accu-stock corrects this issue) is that the fore arm is very flimsy when under pressure from a bi-pod.

Some people don't like the feel of the plain synthetic offered and I have to agree, but the rifles are still accurate. I upgraded to a Bell&Carlson A2 Medalist to get the aluminum block bedding that comes with the Accu-stock. I also wanted a pistol grip type feel when I lay prone, so it is a matter of personal comfort as well.

I have held an accu-stock rifle and fired one and find them to feel a whole lot better than the typical synthetic. On the other hand getting the plain and synthetic and upgrading to a B&C Stock is really not that expensive of an endeavor.

Look at the Mod 14 classics w/ a wood stock. I think they come pillar bedded and if not, a good bedding job will do it wonders and make it a real shooter. I did that to my brothers rifle and went from a 1.5" to .5" at 100yds. They are really nice rifles in my opinion.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-01-2011, 08:33 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What would you buy? Help me blow some $$$

This is the model I was talking about:

Savage Arms Firearms > 14 Classic

Savage Arms Firearms > 14 American Classic Left Hand

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!