Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

What would y'all build?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2006, 06:59 AM
Silver Member

Re: What would y\'all build?

A little over a year ago I had a 300 Rum built on a 700 action and even though she shoots real well out to a thousand yards I would change a few things. As she sits now she weighs in at around 9lbs with a #4 Hart 26" barrel, has a Hart brake and Mcmillan Sporter stock. I would do a 28" Krieger #6 fluted or the Broughten fluted and the Mcmillan HTG stock style. By the way, I have a 300 Win Mag that has a 4 1/2 Hart 26" barrel on a HS stock that rings out 3170 with a 180 bullet and is a tack driver. This outfit uses 26 grains less powder for the same bullet than the RUM and only gives up 180fps in velocity. Food for thought.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:27 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

RR,

With a 30 cal bore in a #5 contour barrel that is fluted you would probably be 1/2 lb heavier then a non fluted #3 contour. FOr a big 30 cal magnum like the 300 RUM it is never a bad idea to get a little more barrel mass. I am not a particularly huge fan of fluting barrels of #5 contour or smaller on calibers over 270 but many are out there with good success. I have just seen a few that had some bore dimensional problems under the flutes with these contour barrels.

For the 300 RUM you will want 26" of barrel length. If you want 24" I woudl say drop back to the 300 Wby or Dakota or 338 RUM. THe smaller capacity of the Wby or Dakota would be better suited for the 24" barrel. Also the larger bore of the 338 will be more efficent in the shorter barrel length as well.

A sub 10 lb rifle chambered in 300 RUM will have significant recoil. I stop short of saying severe recoil because I had one for many years that weighed 9 1/4 lbs and I had no problem shooting it as long as the shooting sessions were short enough to not induce a flinch.

That said, I finally did brake that rifle and when I did I wondered why I put up with the recoil for that long!!!

I like brakes though and am not offended by the increases perceived muzzle blast. That is a personal decision. If it were me yes it would have a brake.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 10-17-2006, 05:09 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for all the information!!
Kirby, if you do not mind I would like to pick your brain a little more.
Say I decided to go with the 338RUM, 24" barrel with break,(you do not recomend #5 contour with fluting for over 270) how about #6 fluted. Isn't the #6 contour the Rem. Sendero factory barrel contour. If it is, I could get by with using my Sendero HS Precision stock.
Do you have a guess what the finnished product would weigh?
Also what barrel's do you use, or recommend?
Thanks
RidgeRooster