Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

What would y'all build?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2006, 05:48 PM
Bronze Member

What would y\'all build?

I am having trouble deciding exactly what I want to build. I purchased a BDL SPS 300RUM at Walmart for $400. I purchased this rifle for the action only, with the intent on building a custom rifle. I also have a Sendero HS precision long action stock that is not in use. I would like to build a packable rifle to use on an upcomming Elk hunt, next season.
I have ran through several ideas, but I can not decide on what to build. I would like to keep the gun under 10 pounds with scope.
Y'all give me some ideas on barrel contour, calibur, stock (as I can sale my HS precision for $200).
Pictures would be very benificial!
I live in KY, so the gun will also be used for Whitetail deer from time to time, and maybe a KY Elk, if I ever get lucky enough to get drawn.
What do all the Elk hunters on this forum use?
Thanks
RidgeRooster
Old 10-16-2006, 06:47 PM
Gold Member

Re: What would y\'all build?

A .338/300 RUM Imp 40 degree would be very impressive bullets range from 160g to past 300g enough variety to take any North American game...
Old 10-16-2006, 07:39 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

RR,

I would recommend a rifle similiar to the one in this pic:

Chambering is not overly important really as there are dozens of chambering that will work very well. I would recommend at least a mid sized 7mm cal magnum as a minimum up to the big 338 mags if you want that much recoil. Just remember in a lightweight rifle, the big 338 magnums will have significantly more recoil then the smaller calibers although muuzzle brakes tame recoil significantly.

The rifle in the big is a Rem 700 long action, same as the one you have bedded in an HS Sporter stock and fitted with an HS Detachable magazine system. The barrel is a light weight #3 contour 27" Lilja fitted with a Defensive Edge Muzzle brake.

To keep weight down I used a set of two piece Burris double dovetail bases with a set of burris signature DD rings.

The scope is a Leupold Mk4 3.5-10x 40mm First Focal Plane with the TMR reticle. All metal is coated by Shawn Carlock in flat black teflon.

With the Harris bipod the rifle weighs in the 9.5 lb range including sling ready to hunt with. It is easily a 1/2 mile rifle, 1000 yards is pushing it a bit with this particular rifle but it would certainly do it on elk size game.

You could get any round in a rifle like this from a 7mm STW up to a 338 Edge or Lapua if you wanted as well. Even a 375 RUM would fit well into a rifle like this.

With the super bullets out today there is no requirement for a 338 cal magnum for elk but they do offer more authority on impact then the smaller calibers.

The rifle in the pic will be with me on my guided elk hunt next fall. It is chambered in my 7mm AM and loaded with the 200 gr ULD RBBT to 3150 fps I have no worries at all pointing it at a 1000 lb bull elk at any range out to 800 yards.

You can go lighter then this but then you really start compromising on consistancy at long range so it depends on what you plan to do with the rifle.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 10-16-2006, 08:04 PM
Bronze Member

Fiftydriver,
What would the differance in weight be in say a #5 fluted, and a #3 non fluted? I kind of like the look and feel of a slightly larger barrrel contour, but the weight factor is very important. Would 26" or even 24" be okay in 300RUM. Would a muzzle break be the right way to go with the 300RUM in a 10 pound or less rifle? Thanks for the good advice, that is just the kind of information that will help me to make the right decision.

RidgeRooster
Old 10-16-2006, 08:58 PM
Platinum Member

You could shave the weight diffewrance in the #3 barrel and the #5 fluted buy using another stock , one of the carbon stocks from Lone Wolf or a light weight stock from Hightech Specialties both only weigh about a pound and a half.
You could also trim some weight buy using a set of Tally one piece aluminum ring/bases their pretty storng and very light. Also make your brake out of Titanium instead of SS , some smiths will lighten a Rem action buy removing metal from non critical areas. Also an ADL configuration would trim some weight.

But my bet would be on a 28" barreled 300RUM , a 200gr Accubond would be a good bullet for elk way out their.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:15 PM
SPONSOR

I second what Kirby said.......He is building me a 7mmAM that is going to be a little heavier (13-14lbs), but I still have a my 7mm STW sendero that is a little lighter to pack on the steep hunts. The idea of this was for an extremely stable LR platform. I did pack my 12lb rifle quite a bit this last weekend through some pretty rough terrain for around 7-8 miles. I was not to bad, but I carry it in my Eberlestock pack. I may have Kirby build a lighter 7AM later, but we will have to see.

If you don't want to fireform, the ultramags would be a good choice over the Allen Mags. Don't overlook the 7mm STW if you can find one. Mild recoil, and high BC bullets available. Just my 2 cents. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2006, 11:13 PM
Gold Member

RidgeRooster,
I thought I would chip in with my 2 cents.
This is how I would build it for myself and recommend for my customers.
The Rem. 700 receiver is a good choice.
I would start by blueprinting the receiver,meaning single point truing of locking lugs,receiver face and receiver threads and bolt face. Then I would helical flute the bolt and install an aluminum oversized bolt handle. All the above would weigh in at around 1-3/4 - 2-1/4 lbs. and would run around 275 dollar wise. Then I would install a Broughton 5C 28" light palma 284 bore 1 in 8 twist and flute the barrel for max weight reduction.You will end up in the high 3 to low 4 lb area and chamber it for 7mmwsm.and install one of my SSG V brakes for max recoil reductions and make a nurled cap for when the muzzle brake is not desired.All of the above including barrel ,chambering,threading,crowning,fluting,muzzle brake and installation would run about 725 dollar wise.
Then the stock, the HS precision stock is a good stock and I do recommend them for the BDL configuration,but if i did not have the HS stock I personally would go with a McMillan
ADJ HTG with adjustable comb with a molded in color combonation and then a pillar bedding job which would weigh in around the 3 lbs. stock and pillar bedding to your receiver would run around 650 dollar wise. If you were looking to save some dollars I would not hesitate to use the HS precision but would recommend skim bedding the receiver to the stock as the HS precision aluminum block to receiver is not a stress free set up by any means.The skim bedding would run around 75 dollars. I would not try to cut weight on my scope mounting as a minimum I would go with weaver grand slam bases and some good sturdy rings and would go with perhaps a longrange leupold or Mark IV with a variable up to 14 power.So with scope and mount you would be looking at the 10-12 lb range with about 1100-1650 more invested not including mounts and optics.The price differance depended on the HS precision stock versus the McMillan one. The 7mmwsm is one of my favorites for light to med. weight long range hunting. You could expect around 31 - 3300 FPS. with the 160 - 175 weight bullets. If you run the numbers on that in a ballistics program you will find it has sufficiant energy for taking even elk out to 800 yds.

You might wonder why I recommended the WSM in the long action..It is to allow for seating your bullets out further. In my experiance the 7 ultra loading in the magazine you will see very little velocity increase with the 160's maybe 100 - 150 FPS increase and about 25 grs. more powder again just my 2 cents.
hope your project goes well,
308nate