Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

What should I expect to spend....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 08:43 PM

Re: What should I expect to spend....

Richard,

Thanks. Sorry I didn't clarify what I was wanting in a rifle. Do you have any suggestions for good match grade ammo for the .260 or 7mm wsm?

Brett
Old 02-01-2011, 08:47 PM
Platinum Member

LR competitions vary widely and with the type and caliber of gun for each.

600 yard BR- 6 dasher, 6BRX, or 6 BR are the calibers

1k BR you can use the Dasher, but mainly 6, 6.5 and 30 calibers and some 7mm.

F class Open- 7mm (280 AI or similar) and 6.5-284

F Class FTR is limited to 308 and 223 only.

Tactical matches- 308, 6.5x47 or 260 are go to rounds mainly. scope will need mil dots

As for costs you can buy a decent savage Palma (308) , BR (6mm BR) or F class (6.5-284) for right at $1000 and used for around $750 or so.

You will want a variable power scope that goes to 20X at least. Used can be found for $500 or so. (used Millet 6-25x, 6-20x Leupold, 6-26 Sightron etc )10x will not cut it in any of the LR matches. You will need a 20 MOA base or better yet a double dovetail base with burris signature rings with the 20 MOA inserts. Best option for the money.

Reloading is a must. $300-500 for press, scales, dies, calipers and other misc. Too expensive to shoot and not reload!

Now here comes the big expense- travel and match fees. Depending on what is available is not uncommon to drive 300 miles or more to a 2 day match with fees in the $80-100 range, not counting gas, meals and hotel. Many take a tent and sleep at the site. Your costs will vary depending on what is local.

I would look at what matches are local (driving distance) and see first before making a decision to buy.

depending on which comp, you would have front and rear rests, bipods and other misc equipment.

IMO the best learning tool is F class FTR with a 308 shooting the 185 Berger or one of the 175s. relatively inexpensive compared to other comps and most shooting in the wind. Plus put the 125 Btip for varmints.

BH
Old 02-01-2011, 08:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Richard,

Thanks. Sorry I didn't clarify what I was wanting in a rifle. Do you have any suggestions for good match grade ammo for the .260 or 7mm wsm?
Brett,
Sorry... I don't shoot either of those calibers and am not aware of any particular ammo for them that's best suited for any particular purpose.

There's bound to be something pretty good for both of them. You'll eventually want handloads.

Last edited by rscott5028; 02-01-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:04 PM

BH,

Thanks for all the information, just what I was looking for; I think i'll be looking at the F class FTR.

I guess no matter what way I look at it I'm spending a ton of money . Now I just have to convince my wife it's a good idea, don't know if I'm that good of a salesman.

I live in Bradford, Pa, which is located 90 mile directly south of Buffalo, NY, so it puts us about 2 miles from the New York border. Is there anything close to this area for F class FTR shoots?

again thanks for the information.

Brett
Old 02-01-2011, 09:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Now I just have to convince my wife it's a good idea, don't know if I'm that good of a salesman.
Brett -

You need to man up.

Get a good gun safe. Buy the guns and lock 'em up before she finds out the money's spent. And, never tell her what they really cost.

...and, never let her see them all together at the same time or she'll start asking stupid questions like, "why do you need so many?"

Best of luck!
Richard
Old 02-01-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscott5028 View Post
Brett -

You need to man up.

Get a good gun safe. Buy the guns and lock 'em up before she finds out the money's spent. And, never tell her what they really cost.

...and, never let her see them all together at the same time or she'll start asking stupid questions like, "why do you need so many?"

Best of luck!
Richard
Sounds like a plan to me! I'll just tell her I keep winning them in gun raffles
Old 02-02-2011, 08:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremehunter View Post
BH,

I live in Bradford, Pa,
Hi Brett,
I live in Howard, PA. I am a huge Savage fan and think you are headed in the right direction. Best loads per factory loading will be Cor-Bon, Black Hills, and HSM.

HSM Trophy Gold Ammunition 260130VLD, 260 Remington, Berger Hunting VLD, 130 GR, 20 Rd/bx

Looks like the 260 will give the best option for loaded accurate ammo, but your paying for it. You may as well put forth the money you would spend on loaded ammo and get reloading equipment. You will be able to see the potential of your rifles much better that way.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!