Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

What should I expect from a .243.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2010, 10:12 PM
Silver Member

Re: What should I expect from a .243.

A Nightforce riflescope is too much for what you've described. If you have the money then by all means buy a Nightforce but for what you're describing, a Nikon Monarch 4-16 or 5-20 will do everything you expect it to. Nightforce, to me anyway, means ultra tough, beyond Leupold tough, beyond Zeiss tough and repeatable, clear optics.

My 2 cents is that you save about a thousand dollars on your scope and put it into your new reloading die, bullet, brass, powder, primer, rifle, and eventually new scope fund. You'll find you'll need it once you get your present combination figured out and it starts to confound you and futher and further ranges.

Cross
Old 06-19-2010, 10:38 PM
Platinum Member

i have a 12 twist barrel that stabalizes 88 grain bergers into nice little 1/4 minute groups. it is not the twist rate . you should be able to at least shoot 100 grain bullets if you choose. are the heavier bullets keyholing?? or are the spraying out like a shot gun patern
Old 06-19-2010, 11:28 PM
Platinum Member

Cross, by the sounds of it, he's already got the nightforce on his 243, just considering Xbal and a PDA vs printed drop charts...

Robbobsam, maybe I'm assuming too much?
Old 06-19-2010, 11:45 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loaders_loft View Post
Cross, by the sounds of it, he's already got the nightforce on his 243, just considering Xbal and a PDA vs printed drop charts...

Right you are! Sorry about that. Well, you can't have too much optics!
Old 06-20-2010, 12:59 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loaders_loft View Post

Yes Guys,

I have already purchased and am using the nightforce, its truly awesome. Just rangefind a target and dial in the range. It may not be as clear as Zeis or swarovski but its a lot tougher and a lot more user friendly.

I know it is more of a scope than I am ever likely to use in the UK but I would rather buy once and buy quality, than buy twice and regret it.

Nightforce produce incredible scopes.

As for the comments on the stability of the bullet, can you recommend a factory load that would give good accuracy in my Tikka .243 in super varmint with a 1 in 10 twist barrel.

I tried Winchester 95 grain silver tips....Groups over 2" at 100yds
Tried Federal 100 grain.......................Groups over 3" at 100yds.
Tried Privvy Partisan 100grain .............Groups over 2" at 100yds.
Tried Hornady 58 grain V-Max..............Groups over 1" at 100yds.
Tried Norma 75 grain V-Max ................Groups just under 1" at 100yds.

When I am zeroing my rifle it is on a harris bipod at the front and a beany bag of sand at the rear.

I would prefer to shoot heavier slower bullets to preserve my barrel and to facilitate the occasional deer that shows up on the farm, but I don't think it is wise to go for the heavier bullet at the cost of accuracy.

Is the only way to cure this problem to reload my own ammo???
Old 06-20-2010, 07:03 AM
Miller Outdoors

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobsam View Post
I tried Winchester 95 grain silver tips....Groups over 2" at 100yds
Tried Federal 100 grain.......................Groups over 3" at 100yds.
Tried Privvy Partisan 100grain .............Groups over 2" at 100yds.
Tried Hornady 58 grain V-Max..............Groups over 1" at 100yds.
Tried Norma 75 grain V-Max ................Groups just under 1" at 100yds.

When I am zeroing my rifle it is on a harris bipod at the front and a beany bag of sand at the rear.

I would prefer to shoot heavier slower bullets to preserve my barrel and to facilitate the occasional deer that shows up on the farm, but I don't think it is wise to go for the heavier bullet at the cost of accuracy.

Is the only way to cure this problem to reload my own ammo???
To me those results scream that something on the rifle isn't right.

Check the crown - make sure the barrel isn't touching the stock at any point past the action - make sure the action screws are snugged down to 40 to 60 in-lbs. Make sure the base it torqued to 40 in-lbs or whatever they suggest and a drop of blue loctite on the base screws wouldn't hurt. Make sure the scope ring screws are torqued to the 20 in-lbs or whatever the manufacturer recommends. Get a scope bubble level (b-square has one for around $13 at midwayusa) and use it.

If nothing above shrinks your groups I'd be looking to bed the action and if that didn't make a difference I'd try a pressure point on the barrel up near the end of the stock. If all that fails to shrink those 3" groups at least in half I'd look to take a shooting class or sell the gun.

Good luck.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:04 AM
Platinum Member

factory loads are quite expensive. i would try 85 sierra hpbt ( federal) . hopefully they will do better. the gun should shoot everything at 1 in ch or less though