Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

What should I expect from a .243.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2010, 03:55 PM
Silver Member

What should I expect from a .243.

I am considering purchasing a PDA and X-bal for my Nightforce scope to improve my long range accuracy, but I am not sure it would be money well spent as I only have a .243 rifle and with a 1 in 10 barrel its only able to stabilize bullets up to 75grains.

I have tried 100 grain bullets and they are all over the place.

I am currently only able to shoot at ranges up to about 500yds on my local farm anyway so would it be a waste of money?

Would I be better off just sticking to drop charts for windage and elevation compensation?

What do you think?
Old 06-18-2010, 05:04 PM
Miller Outdoors

Re: What should I expect from a .243.

I'd save the money and put some of it toward reloading stuff - finding a 75 grain bullet that the gun likes and get the drop chart all figured out. Then I'd send away for a custom turret for the scope.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:10 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Outdoors View Post
I'd save the money and put some of it toward reloading stuff - finding a 75 grain bullet that the gun likes and get the drop chart all figured out. Then I'd send away for a custom turret for the scope.
What do you mean a custom turret ???

What is a custom turret and where do I get one from ???

Sorry guys, Yes I am a newbie, but I am keen and wanna learn.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:41 AM
Silver Member

Do not worry about custom turrets, You have a night force just learn to spin the knobs.

Out to 500 yrds you will be fine with a drop chart. I would reccommend going to JBM - Calculations - Trajectory and putting in your info tell it fits your known drops and run it out to 1000 yrds.

When and if you get a chance to shoot past 500 yrds, the drop chart will be good enough to get you close. Heck I still use drop charts more often than not because there fast for me.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:29 AM
Platinum Member

When you talk about the 100gn bullet are these factory loads? What rifle do you have? There are plenty of good bullets between the 75 - 100gn range. Are you handloading?
My longest shot on a groundhog was with the 95gn Ballistic Tip. My rifle (Win70 HVB) also likes the 80-85gn range. As a matter of fact, I'm fixing to start load development shortly on the Sierra 85gn HP. I have tried other 80-85gn bullets in this rifle and it shoots them extremely well.
Don 't forget the 90gn bullets; Nosler and Berger make fine bullets in this range.
I have not tried anything above 95gn in my rifle and I'm satisfied to say it has shot everything accurately from 65gn up to 95gn. This is my dedicated varmint rifle though. I have others in 6.5-284, 7mmRemMag and .300WinMag for targets and big game. I would not be scared to press my .243 into service for deer with the right bullet, however.
Spending your money, hum, let me think? You could buy reloading supplies and try other bullet weights, like some other members suggested, or you could buy a tighter twist barrel and stick with drop charts (what I use). Or you could just purchase the PDA/Exbal and use it for now with your .243. Then when you outgrow this rifle and/or purchase another later on you'll have the PDA/Exbal for it.
Several ways to skin this cat, you just need to fingure out if you want to start at the head or the rearend first. JohnnyK.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:52 AM
Platinum Member

if you're shooting at the same location regularly, you could set up some large targets on butcher paper and make very accurate drop charts. Print the online data then go check it at your farm...
Old 06-19-2010, 12:41 PM
Silver Member

Guys, you have all been very helpful and your advice is very welcome.

I think for the minute I am going to stick to drop charts and gain confidence shooting at the ranges I currently shooting at. I have the potential to shoot up to 500yds but have only as yet managed a 260yd bunny so there is still a lot of scope to improve.

I am going to get some RCBS reloading gear and get used to reloading and perfecting my loads, then I will look at upgrading my rifle.

Later this year I expect to go to Germany or Hungary after some of the giant wild boar so I will have to get a larger caliber rifle for that.

I am really getting into this shooting lark, its incredibly involved and interesting.