Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

what should I buy.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2004, 07:38 PM

what should I buy.

I have been a police officer for several years and served in the military including a recent tour in Iraq. I am looking to buy a weapon and am leaning towards a 7MM rem mag. I have several friends (fellow police officers, some on the ERT) and they are stuck on a .308. I also have a friend who is a former USMC scout sniper (he is also a police officer now) who says that the 7mm has a flatter tajectory and will be more accurate at long range over the .308. Now the ERT guys say that the 7mm cant compare to the .308 and that my friend doesnt know what he is talking about. I know ERT only has to qulify at 100 yards and the farthest the have ever shot the .308 in trainning is 600 yards at hearsal davis (comand master chief us navy seals) training facility in Illinois. so what is it the .308 or the 7mm rem mag. I would like to shoot anywhere from 500 to 1000 yards and be able to take it elk hunting someday. Is this posible with this round (I know that I succesfully engaged targets up to 600 meters with my M249 in the desert, and it was only a 5.56 calibur machine .Personaly I thought the .308 was to small for something like elk but that is why I am asking for advice. Also I met a guy who said he used to shoot his 7mm at 1000 yards and hit his targets accurately, and that it is a powerfull enough round to kill anything that walks? If it is to be the 7mm who makes one for a left handed shooter with the heavy barrel, I saw one at a sporting store(I think it was the short case ultra mag for a righty though)is this gun capuble of what I want or do I need to get some thing custom.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:58 PM
Silver Member

Re: what should I buy.

...308 is the undisputed favorite of medium to long range accuracy...pleasant to shoot...tried and proven beyond question... however, when it comes to elk and the likes at long range, a magnum is preferable... 7mm short action mags and ultra mags are very popular, but once again the .30 cal 300 short mag or ultra mag wins over the 7mm... at least in popularity... if you like the 7mm rem mag, it's a splendid elk cartridge...go for it... hope this helps
Old 08-02-2004, 08:42 PM
Bronze Member

Welcome home Brother! This Veteran would like to thank you for your service to this country, both as a Law Enforcment Officer and Military duties!
I have some time in on the 'ole 308, and it is a excellant cartridge. I have even harvested a bull Elk with the 308, not to mention enjoying the wonderful accuracy of the round.
Would I feel confident using it as a long range hunting round? Yes, on whitetail and mule deer class critters. If you decide on the 7mm "Magnum" class of rounds, you are making a good choice. They are much more powerful at any range than the 308, the accuracy potental is the same and just as easy to shoot. It all depends on what you feel confident with, and the type of game you plan to hunt. Do some research, lots of good information here and elseware and good luck!
Old 08-02-2004, 08:49 PM
Gold Member

I've had 3-7mm mags, and they were all very accurate, one of them was my prairie dog gun for a couple of years it was so accurate. I've killed several elk with one, and IMO it is a very effective long range elk round. If I were limited to one center fire rifle for shooting everything, it would be a 7mm Rem mag.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:49 PM

thanks for the input guys, I am going to research the 7mm mag further like sugested. If anyone has anthing to add please do as I will check this post daily for more input.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:53 PM
Gold Member

HI Johnson,
You would not need to go custom for what you want. Savage makes a heavy bareled-left hand.308 which is capable of sub 1moa.
The .308 round is an awesome round and is every bit as accurate as the 7mmwm but I would not recommend taking Elk at over 500 yds. O.k I'm going to have some fun. here is what I would do,I would buy the Savage model 12flv for around $500 and would shoot it to my hearts content then I would re-barrel to 7mmsaum with a Broughton or Krieger barrel and put a Mcmillan A2 stock on it.
There are all kinds of after market modifications,like easily changed out tactical bolt handle.(You don't have to worry about ripping off soldered on bolt handles) also several after market triggers and the action is easy to blueprint.The only thing I like better then shooting my rifles ...is building them [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
last Sunday I shot my 7mmwsm and am still in disbelief.....at 700 yds my first 3-shot group measured 1.500. I was shooting through my crony and the ES was 16 fps.
Then I shot a 4-shot group at the same range and it measured 2" needless to say I still have a grin on my face.
Oh, BTW I built that on a Savage action [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
have fun,
308nate
Old 08-03-2004, 07:09 AM
Platinum Member

Jeremiah

The 308 is a very nice cartridge to learn with and pleasant to shoot. Lot of shooting matches that it can be used in but it gives up a lot in windage and flat trajectory compared to todays calibers.

Plus it is really not a LR hunting round at all (800-1200 plus yards) especially on bigger game.
You might have differences of opinion on what is LR so I have given some idea of what I call LR.

The 7WSM is really coming on and with fast twist 1-9 it will shoot the 180s (about highest BC bullet around). In my opinion it is head and shoulders above the SAUM. I am really not sure they are going to last long term and they give up too much to the WSM line.

Savage actions are great, easy to tune up and good aftermarket supply of drop in barrels, stocks, triggers etc.

Buy a Savage 110 FP (long action 308) to practice with and another bolt head ($20) and then another barrel for 7 WSM later.

BH