Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

What resources should I use to prepare for long range hunting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2011, 01:41 PM
Silver Member

I have been taking advantage of the forums (thanks everyone) to get some equipment together. I am almost done with that. Next I have plans to start practicing scenarios in the field. Are there any more resources online that I can use to learn techniques and what to do in certain situations. Instruction vidoes, etc. I can't afford the high dollar schools unfortunately.

Thanks again!!!
Old 06-22-2011, 10:22 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What resources should I use to prepare for long range hunting?

Find a good gun range and start there. Look for a plase to shoot out in the country and lots of practice.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:00 AM
Bronze Member

practice shooting at all distances possible. Shoot off of sticks and/or bipod depending on what you will be using in the field. shooting off bench at distance is great but you need to shoot like you will be in the field, you are not going to be packing a bench and rests and all of that in the field. Get the best optics that you can afford.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:59 PM
Platinum Member

A lot depends upon how you will hunt and none of it depends upon how you will hunt.

To be successful you need to be semi organized and know where every piece of equipment is and to have it at hand when needed. This includes you bullets, your drop chart or PDA, your wind meter, your LRF,, your rear bag, etc.

You should decide beforehand what level of wind you are comfortable with and what distance with those winds. You need to have a good understanding of how accurate you are with a first round cold barrel shot.

As was said, practice is important and that includes laying out your gear in a methodical manner. A good shot takes several minutes of preparation.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:54 AM
SPONSOR

Practice in all conditions and then practice some more.

Forget the range and go shoot field conditions... uncomfortable, wind, rain, snow, uphilll, downhill, cross wind, etc.... find your comfort zone and practice some more.

Read on the forums, talk to shooters who are better than you....

Ask questions, there are no dumb ones ~!
Old 07-07-2011, 08:54 AM
Gold Member

I would suggest getting some longrange videos from some of the guys here on the site. Holland, Carlock, BOTW and others I can't think of right now. I've seen a few and they are full of good info.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:37 AM
Gold Member

Where you from? Find a feloow LRH buddy and latch on tight!