Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

What is the quickest most foolproof windage method?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 01:14 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What is the quickest most foolproof windage method?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybar View Post
Thanks for all the input so far... these kinds of formulas and suggestions in the other responses is exactly what I am trying to gather before making a decision on what will work best for me.
Johnnybar,

How much money you looking to spend on your scope purchase?

Scot E.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:44 PM
Gold Member

40-60 years of EXPERIENCE!!
Old 02-01-2012, 04:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp6x6 View Post
ScottE, I do exactly as you suggest, on my favorite set up, and I will be all mil in future scopes. I like that it is easy to remember mil holds to1000 or more, just less dialing. Which is how a Greybull or Huskemaw are set up also, but moa.I get to 825 On my TMR now and that is with a 200 zero. I could change all that and climb reticule, I just dial long stuff. I have spotted own miss rock shooting at 1200-1500 and been able to read reticule and connect on #2
Agreed. MILS offer fewer clicks, smaller numbers to remember and work with, and about the perfect size of adjustment per click IMO. Add FFP to it and I really start to get giddy!

It is interesting, Greybull, BOTW, and the G7 boys all use, or used at one point, 1/3 MOA turrets which is almost exactly what a .1 MIL click is. I don't use the yardage turrets like they do but a lot of the other concepts are very similar. For shooting out to 800-1000 yards I think it is tough to beat for an easy, quick, and accurate system for big game. Change things up a bit, ie smaller targets or longer ranges, and my requirements change a bit but I think most guys would be surprised how simple and accurate a reticle can be.

Scot E.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Time Long Ranger View Post
Kestrel!
Kestrell is great for gaging wind speed at the point of shot but does nothing downrange where wind speed and even direction can be different....

I have one too. I also use the wet finger method.....

...but then, one of my hunting buds has taken lots of elk and mule deer using the wet finger/Kentucky windage methid and he always mounts a very affordable 6-9 scope too (Tasco fan).....
Old 02-02-2012, 03:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybar View Post
where do I get a picture of the TMR mentioned by SP6' and W'Rose?
Leupold Optics.

For most of their scopes you can get it installed for 140.00.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Leupold Optics.

For most of their scopes you can get it installed for 140.00.
True, but Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
Just go buy a nighrforce with a kick butt reticle, & donate your Leupy to me..... Ill take one for the team

I shoot with the same scope, Leupold VX-III 4.5-14X40 A/O that I sent to Leupold Custom shop for the B&C Varmint hunter reticle. $109.99 exact change. Has windage in the reticle. Super easy, & quick for those 600-yd shots. a different reticle for ranges past that would probably serve you better, but for 600 & in, I LOVE mine.
If you have a vx-III or better, a whole world of inexpensive upgrades are available thru the Leupold custom shop. Even if your are not the origional purchaser of the scope! Pretty cool......
But you want a nightforce (I'm ever so sneaky sending subliminal messages)......Leupolds should all be donated to winmag....... He will give them a good home......

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"