Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

What is the quickest most foolproof windage method?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 09:28 PM
Bronze Member

What is the quickest most foolproof windage method?

What do you find to be the best setup for making elevation and windage corrections quickly and in a relatively foolproof manner for hunting situations. I have a laser rangefinder that determines accurate angle corrected MOA adjustments for elevation. So, I range, dial up the required MOA then estimate wind and either guess hold off relative to the animals size or, dial MOA, into the wind, from a range card taped to the butt stock. I have seen turrets that have windage noted next to the MOA values on the top turret. With that setup you range, dial elevation, note recommended windage per 10mph on turret, correct for actual mph and hold off with a mil or moa reticle.

I limit shots to 600 yds currently and use a 4.5-14 Leupold VXIII with standard duplex reticle. It's the reticle that subtends 16" from post to crosshair at the yardage noted on the power dial. My vmax loads require 7 minutes per 10 mph at 600 yds. That's 7 feet in a 20mph wind...kind of hard to guestimate that much. I've contemplated adding the windage moa's to the top turret in the proper locations. Then, I would just have to take time to dial in moa windage.

What have you found to be a simple setup that works, with first shot reliability, a high percentage of the time.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:46 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What is the quickest most foolproof windage method?

A reticule w/ more detail like a TMR IS NICE. Leupold shop can quote you price. It would be best for you to dial wind if you have much. For less you could use duplex for reference. If you angle shoot much you are going to want a ACI and small calculater, or pencil and paper. The wind is never a simple solution as it is different at places along bullet flight. I have shot at early morning, no mirage,sage, no wind on meter and missed by 4 feet, wind in canyon @ 10 mph,257 caliber. I have cut my wind holds by 2/3 going to the largest caliber and bullet I shoot, as itis far less affected.Use to speed goat w/257. Now 338 Norma.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:43 PM
Platinum Member

Kestrel!
Old 02-01-2012, 02:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybar View Post
What do you find to be the best setup for making elevation and windage corrections quickly and in a relatively foolproof manner for hunting situations. I have a laser rangefinder that determines accurate angle corrected MOA adjustments for elevation. So, I range, dial up the required MOA then estimate wind and either guess hold off relative to the animals size or, dial MOA, into the wind, from a range card taped to the butt stock. I have seen turrets that have windage noted next to the MOA values on the top turret. With that setup you range, dial elevation, note recommended windage per 10mph on turret, correct for actual mph and hold off with a mil or moa reticle.

I limit shots to 600 yds currently and use a 4.5-14 Leupold VXIII with standard duplex reticle. It's the reticle that subtends 16" from post to crosshair at the yardage noted on the power dial. My vmax loads require 7 minutes per 10 mph at 600 yds. That's 7 feet in a 20mph wind...kind of hard to guestimate that much. I've contemplated adding the windage moa's to the top turret in the proper locations. Then, I would just have to take time to dial in moa windage.

What have you found to be a simple setup that works, with first shot reliability, a high percentage of the time.
The quickest is to use body measurements.

IE: 7' equals 2.5x lenth of coyote from base of tail to point of shoulder.
7' equals 1.5x length of deer from base of tail to point of shoulder.

The most accurate is to dial.

In between those is using a mil dot or MP8 reticle.

If you know your range accurately and the size of the animal it's not that difficult on coyote or larger sized targets.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:33 AM
Bronze Member

Forgot to mention that I have a wind/temp handheld unit. I am more interested in what everyone uses to quickly make the windage correction adjustment while in a hurry....in a hunting situation up to 600 yds. I don't have too much trouble with assessing the wind as I'm on mostly level ground with lots of grassland to help assess winds along the bullet's path. My rifle/load requires 7.3 MOA/10mph wind @ 600yds and guessing relative to average animal size isn't an option with any winds much over 5mph @ 90deg.
Do you find that dialing windage is too time consuming?
Do you find that dialed in windage is, at times, forgotten about and ruins subsequent shots in mulitple bag limit game like prarie dogs or coyotes?
Do you find that the mil or moa dot reticle is the best option and always leave the scope zeroed for windage?

I've been thinking that I will just set the scopes magnification to subtend 16" from post to crosshair at 100yds. That will equal approximately 16 moa of windage at each side post which will carry me out to over 600 yds in a 20 mph wind. Just want to draw from the wealth of LRH knowledge before I decide to go with this plan or especially before spending more money on reticles and/or scopes.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:45 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the info WildRose.
I didn't see your post until after I had posted the additional info above. Some of my problems come up when coyotes are angled, head on or tail on to my position and the shot opportunity is dissapearing quickly. Your formula sounds very workable for a quick shot. Thanks again,

Ben
Old 02-01-2012, 04:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybar View Post
Thanks for the info WildRose.
I didn't see your post until after I had posted the additional info above. Some of my problems come up when coyotes are angled, head on or tail on to my position and the shot opportunity is dissapearing quickly. Your formula sounds very workable for a quick shot. Thanks again,

Ben
You just described probably 95% of the shots I take HA!

The MP8, Mil Dot, and TMR reticles really do help.

Remember too that your wind values change with the angle to the wind as well.

If your target is 90 degrees to the wind, then you have full value. Less than 90 or more than 90 your windvalue falls.

For exampe if he's quartering into the wind, you'd cut your wind value in half.

If he's quartering away from you and the wind you cut it by 3/4 because you actually have a "push" of the bullet by the wind which reduces your lead, as well as cutting your lead due to the fact the left/right movement is cut by half.

I've actually had to lead some from behind when they were trotting away directly down wind.

It just takes a lot of practice in the wind for quick shots.