Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

What is the problem??? (reloading Q)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2010, 08:58 PM
Silver Member

What is the problem??? (reloading Q)

This is my first attempt at reloading, I have all brand new equipment, and am trying to reload for my 270 WSM.

Right away I am having problems...

RCBS Rock Chucker
#43 shell holder
Redding full length die

When I resize I am getting dents on the shoulder which from everything I'm reading means too much lube.

I have cleaned the inside of the die, and I am trying to put even less lube on the case then I was initially. I put a tiny drop on my finger tip, rub my fingers together then rub the case, basically just enough to make it shiny.

This has helped but I am still getting small dents on the shoulder unless I move the ram up and down about 1/4 of the way at a time.

The makes me think there is something else going on aside from the hydraulic denting:
Using the hornady lock 'n load comparator it looks the shoulder is being pushed back .010 instead of the .001-.002 I would like to see. I set the die so it is touching the shell holder, and turned it down approx 1/8 turn, there is just a VERY small springy feeling at the end of the stroke, it is probably less than 1/8 of a turn.

I really don't want dented cases, nor do I want to set the shoulder back that far. Any ideas???
Old 06-25-2010, 09:45 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What is the problem??? (reloading Q)

I assume these are fired cases so find one that you get resistance on when you close the bolt. I take and screw my die out and run the brass up all the way then screw the die down as far as it will go then I advance the die and re size and try the brass till you can just load it without any bolt resistance. I don't lube the shoulder at all, just the body and a little on the neck. Lube and moving the shoulder that much is what is giving you dents.

I went through this when I first started with my 270 WSM, just takes a little to get all the kinks worked out

Easier yet measure the piece that is sticky and set the die to bump .001, if it fits your GTG if not you'll need to find the problem.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"

Last edited by bigngreen; 06-25-2010 at 09:57 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSS View Post
This is my first attempt at reloading, I have all brand new equipment, and am trying to reload for my 270 WSM.

Right away I am having problems...

RCBS Rock Chucker
#43 shell holder
Redding full length die

When I re size I am getting dents on the shoulder which from everything I'm reading means too much lube.

I have cleaned the inside of the die, and I am trying to put even less lube on the case then I was initially. I put a tiny drop on my finger tip, rub my fingers together then rub the case, basically just enough to make it shiny.

This has helped but I am still getting small dents on the shoulder unless I move the ram up and down about 1/4 of the way at a time.

The makes me think there is something else going on aside from the hydraulic denting:
Using the hornady lock 'n load comparator it looks the shoulder is being pushed back .010 instead of the .001-.002 I would like to see. I set the die so it is touching the shell holder, and turned it down approx 1/8 turn, there is just a VERY small springy feeling at the end of the stroke, it is probably less than 1/8 of a turn.

I really don't want dented cases, nor do I want to set the shoulder back that far. Any ideas???
Don't feel bad. It's easy to get to much lube on /in the dies and brass.

What happens is the sizing lube seals the case neck and body befor it is all the way up in
the die, and the excess lube is forced into the shoulder and dents it.

A simple cure for buildup of lube in the die is to apply a small amount of lube to the inside
of the neck on every case, And lube every other one on the outside so that when you size
one that had no lube on the outside there will still be enough lube inside the die from the
last one to size with little or no effort and this will prevent buildup in the dies.

Some cases can be sized using 1 out of three with lube on the outside. But apply lube to
the inside of every neck (It wont build up and it will keep the necks in good shape).

Hope this helps.

J E CUSTOM
Old 06-25-2010, 09:58 PM
Silver Member

I've backed the die out maybe 1/4 turn from contact with the shell holder.
I am now only moving the shoulder back .002-.003 and no denting.

Is there any problem with having the die backed out a little? One thing I didn't mention is that it took quite a bit of force to get the ram all the way up with the die 1/4 turn down from contact with the holder. It was difficult to get the shell out of the die as well, I had to put both hands on the handle to pull the case out of the die. Maybe my die is a little off??

Is it possible my rifle has a little more room in the chamber than most and the shoulder is moving a lot???

Yes, this is once fired factory Federal brass.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:16 PM
Platinum Member

Of all the stuff I reload WSM brass is the worst to size, I have to use the Imperial wax. You may need to upgrade your lube.
No problem with having the die out a little. From what I've gone through it may be an indicator that you be a little on the long side of head spacing, the problem I had with that is that you have to size down the base of the case to get them to chamber but that means your bumping the shoulder back what you measured earlier, which happens to be about where my Savage was before I set it to min then all these problems went away.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 06-25-2010, 10:29 PM
Silver Member

This is a savage as well.
No problem with the bolt closing on the spent casings that I tried.

What do you mean by setting to min? You mean just moving the shoulder back as a very small amount like I have done by backing out the die until the shoulder measures .002 further back than it was before sizing?

Thanks for the help and sorry for the dumb questions.

If the shoulder has moved a lot from 1 firing I would expect that means headspace is on the long side. So from what I understand I should leave the base to shoulder length a little long (not necessarily back to factory spec's) so the round fits the chamber right???
Old 06-25-2010, 10:44 PM
Gold Member

Yes your correct. If you have a case that is a little hard to chamber, do as said previously and screw in the die little by little and test every time till it chambers without resistance.

I used to resize using hornady 1 shot case lube, and then whiched to imperial sizing die wax. A WORLD of difference!! The stuff is great!

IMO, you should get a shoulder bump die from redding, and a Lee neck sizer. That will make life a lot easier.

Your die is sizing your brass to or near min saami specs, your overworking your brass and yourself with full length sizing all the time. Do it maybe every 3 or 4 reloads.