Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

what power spotting scope for hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2011, 07:17 AM
Platinum Member

Re: what power spotting scope for hunting

Here is a link from Boss Hoss that I found helpful.

http://www.usoptics.com/video/cln1.wmv

The hard part is getting oil free tissues and Q-tips. Unscented tissues are about as close as I could come. Be very careful and test a small area as the older coatings may not be the same as modern coatings.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:24 AM
Bronze Member

I have always been told by opticians to NEVER use ANY wood based product when cleaning a lens, EVER.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:41 AM
Bronze Member

Since a spotting scope is used for nothing more than to get a closer look at a critter you have initially spotted with your bino's, you don't need the most expensive one on the shelf. As for magnification, I like a a variable power scope in a 20-60 power. 20 power is ok for 500-800 yd looks, but beyond that you are going to need more power.At 60 power you are naturally going to get some distortion from heat waves or low light conditions, however, through those distortions you will still get a pretty good idea at what you are looking at. A good spotting scope will save you lots of wasted boot leather. I give the Vortex Nomad a big thumbs up for optical quality and affordable price point.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:49 AM

A spotting scope is essential when hunting areas like NM where you will be looking for animals way above you. A good spotter can save you a lot of miles on your feet if you can fist spot them and then judge them. I suppose you will shoot the biggest horned animal you see, so make sure you have at least some type of functional spotting scope before you go. Here is an excellent site that lists the best spotting scopes for hunting in several different price ranges from cheap to expensive: Best Spotting Scope for Hunting | Best For Hunting
Good Luck. Sounds like fun!
Old 05-13-2011, 03:57 PM
Platinum Member

Go here...http://www.eagleoptics.com/....and give the man a call at 800-289-1132 and tell him straight out what you need. A top qality piece of glass for $$$ dollars. Basically the best scope that $$$ will buy.

He'll set ya straight and treat you right.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:27 AM

No idea if it is available in the US, but my combination for hunting is a 8,2x42 EL Swarovski binokular for finding animals and than a 20-60x85 CTS Swaro for spotting.
Both are in the high price range but they aere some of the best optical pieces you can get on the market.