Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

what power spotting scope for hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 09:52 PM
Bronze Member

what power spotting scope for hunting

I drew on a 1-in-a-lifetime Oryx hunt in NM this fall. It is pretty open country so I am considering what to do for a spotting scope.

My main question is just what maximum power spotting scope is needed for long range hunting/spotting. Apparently the highest power if you can afford the quality. Well, I can't afford that quality, so the tradeoff is just how much power is actually needed. I have a good pair of 8-24 Nikon binnoculars, an old B&L 20X and an elcheapo 20x60x60 spotting scope that is a bear to focus at the 100 yd range target shooting. Most of the spotting will be done reasonably close to the vehicle so packing isn't the issue.

This won't be a trophy hunt where it is critical to analyze the horns for exact length.

So, from your experience, what power would you settle for?

Thanks.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:00 AM
Bronze Member

Re: what power spotting scope for hunting

Interesting. 41 views and not one opinion. I even showered before I posted.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:35 AM
Platinum Member

How good is the clarity of the B&L scope? The reason I ask, is that my brother-in-law how hunts out west and in PA, uses a homemade set of binoculars utilizing to 2 B&L 20x spotting scopes. I got to use them this year they worked rather well. Maybe just use your scope you have a long with the binoculars. I use a set of Nikon binoculars up to 22x. 20x and above on mine are useless, but I am able to spot ground hogs to 1000+yds on 18x.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 03-12-2011, 06:40 PM
Platinum Member

I have never tried to spot oryx but elk and deer and antelope I know something about.

The first things you wish is a high quality image delivered to your eye. This is most easily and cheaply obtained with a single power eyepiece. I use a 22 X wide angle and it is good for finding animals out to about 1500 yards and further if there is good contrast. It is difficult to count or assess the quality of horns beyond 1000 yds with the 22X so I will change in a 36X for assessing antlers. This takes about 30 seconds or so to do. I have a variable eyepiece and it is the most worthless thing.

I have not bought a spotting scope recently so I do not know the quality of the different ones. If you can afford a Kowa large objective and two eyepieces then that is going to be a good scope. Perhaps there are better scope for less money. But I can count the tines on a bull elk at 3000+ yards

My advice is to go down to the optics part of the forum and start paging backwards as this question is asked several times a year and sometimes it gets more response than others.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:39 PM
Gold Member

the old b&l spotting scope is still an excellant scope.
even when compared to far more costly modern scopes.
the older dark green version had no tripod lug. the later lighter green version has a lug. both are identicle as for quality of optics. an inscription on the focus knob will indicate bausch&lomb rochester.
one of those with a 20x eyepiece will do all you need.
the standard 20x eyepiece is actually clearer than the wide angle versions.
i also have a set of those in a bracket as well as a set of 77 mm kowas.
i use the b&ls at least as often as the kowas.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
. an inscription on the focus knob will indicate bausch&lomb rochester.
I had heard some of them and some Spacemasters were very good but did not know which ones.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:16 PM
Bronze Member

The B&L is excellent. The el-cheapo is actually a 12x45, not a 20x60. It is OK but the focus is on the eypiece and is very crude and touchy. It works but that is about the best that can be said.

I went down and looked through some at the sporting shop and there is definately a difference. But I was quite impressed by the $300 dollar range scopes. For someone who doesn't use on full time or under real extreme conditions, they seemed they would be quite adequate.

I think I am going to have to go out and do some actual field testing with what I have and see just what they do.

Thanks for the inputs.