Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

what is porpous of an adj. cheekpiece?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2012, 06:47 PM
Silver Member

what is porpous of an adj. cheekpiece?

Say for an ultra long range rifle why is an adj. Cheek piece important? Is it needed for extreme long range? Is it because not all people facial structure are the same? Or is it for changing from bench/ practice to prone position? I want to order a stock without one but am worried about my decision
Old 06-30-2012, 06:59 PM
Platinum Member

Re: what is porpous of an adj. cheekpiece?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercrossbmx69 View Post
Say for an ultra long range rifle why is an adj. Cheek piece important? Is it needed for extreme long range? Is it because not all people facial structure are the same? Or is it for changing from bench/ practice to prone position? I want to order a stock without one but am worried about my decision
Simply for adjusting propper, & consistant eye alignment for prone shooting.
Shawn Carlok did an article on adjustable cheek pieces. Great article. Do a search for it here on LRH.
Also, Shawn offers an adjustable Defensive Edge cheek piece to bolt onto your existing stock.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 06-30-2012, 08:00 PM
Platinum Member

I hunted for years and years without a adjustable stock and was quite successful. I used the McMillan Adj. HTG on my latest rifle and really like it. Takes some foolin with to get it just right but once you find the optimum spot it's great. It does add a little weight in a carry rifle but I think it's worth it.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 06-30-2012, 08:23 PM
Silver Member

Re: what is purpose of an adj. cheek piece?

I purchased the cheek piece from Defensive Edge for my HS Precision stock and I love it! Good article too!
Old 06-30-2012, 11:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercrossbmx69 View Post
Just to help you get a good consisten eye/sight alignment and also to give you a consistent mount all the way around with your rifle.

I think anything that makes you more consistent with the above makes you a more consistent shooter in general no matter what the range.

If you aren't consistent with your mount you can't consistently drive the rifle in the same manner shot after shot which will produce inconsistent results down range.