Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

what is the most accurate and durable trouble free chronograph?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2010, 05:49 PM
Silver Member

what is the most accurate and durable trouble free chronograph?

as the title implies, what is the most trouble free least finicky, trouble free, durable chronograph? I have a CED Millenium 2, it worked okay for the first say 5 times of use, and today, would not work at all, kept getting sensor errors. I called and left a message for them and will be calling back, but now this pushes me back another 1-2 weeks for my load development.

so for the future, what would be my best bet for a chronograph? thanks
Old 10-02-2010, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member

Re: what is the most accurate and durable trouble free chronograph?

Don't have anything for ya, but want to here some answers.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 10-02-2010, 07:11 PM
Platinum Member

about fifteen years ago a buddy of mine and myself bought chronographs. He had a little more money than I did and bought an Ohler 35 with the three sky screen. I bought a PACT. Just the midline model without the printer (mistake). Doug spent well over $340 dollars with a dealer's discount, and I spent almost a hundred dollars less without a discount. I opted for the square tubed mounting bracket, and Doug used the recommended piece of electrical conduit. The readings were virtually identical (within 2 or 3 fps most everytime). I could set mine up and be running in less than 15 minutes (including alignment), and I have seen Doug fiddle with his for 45 minutes and longer. That was in 1993, and neither one has ever had the slightest problem. Now I'm going to finally buy a new chronograph this winter (With a printer!), and of course it will be a PACT even though I can buy the Ohler for the same $340 price tag. That's a lot of beer for me!
gary
Old 10-02-2010, 07:48 PM
Bronze Member

My hunting partner and I use a CED Millenium Chronograph form Dillon precision. This my first chronograph, so I am not an expert. It does have large opening sky screens so it is easier not to hit them. The processor is a little slow, but it gets the job done. It stores 100 strings and gives you the typical statistics. It also has a non-volatile memory so it "remembers" your strings even if the battery goes dead. It will transfer data to a PC, but I have mostly used pen and paper. It costs $200 so it seems pretty inexpensive compared to others. Replacement parts are inexpensive too. We carry a spare set of sky screens just in case. Haven't needed them yet.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesheep View Post
My hunting partner and I use a CED Millenium Chronograph form Dillon precision. This my first chronograph, so I am not an expert. It does have large opening sky screens so it is easier not to hit them. The processor is a little slow, but it gets the job done. It stores 100 strings and gives you the typical statistics. It also has a non-volatile memory so it "remembers" your strings even if the battery goes dead. It will transfer data to a PC, but I have mostly used pen and paper. It costs $200 so it seems pretty inexpensive compared to others. Replacement parts are inexpensive too. We carry a spare set of sky screens just in case. Haven't needed them yet.
the PACT with a printer sells for $219
gary
Old 10-02-2010, 10:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeless61 View Post
as the title implies, what is the most trouble free least finicky, trouble free, durable chronograph? I have a CED Millenium 2, it worked okay for the first say 5 times of use, and today, would not work at all, kept getting sensor errors. I called and left a message for them and will be calling back, but now this pushes me back another 1-2 weeks for my load development.

so for the future, what would be my best bet for a chronograph? thanks
I still think that the Oehler 35P is the best and most accurate.

I know that there are other good chronographs available , but with all of the features and
dependability Plus a customer service that is second to none , it is the best bang for your
buck.

I have an original Oehler 33 that is almost 40 years old and still works perfect. in fact I just
bough a new 35p and tested the old 33 against it and it read withen 5 feet per second
of the new unit.

The 35p sums, calculates SDs,ESs,Highest velocity, lowest velocity,and with the proof channel
verifies velocity. Plus it prints all the data out for later use and evaluation.

Like everything else you get what you pay for.

Just my opinion.

J E CUSTOM
Old 10-02-2010, 11:22 PM
Gold Member

I've been using a Pact that my dad gave me about 20 years ago. I'm always reminded how old it is because everytime I turn it on it flashes the software date of 1991. It still works but is starting to get very temperamental and if conditions aren't perfect, it either doesn't read anything or the numbers are way off. After reading all of the reviews of the 35P, and hearing people rave about them for years, I went ahead and ordered one in the beginning of September. It wont be here until December but I am looking forward to it. It should last a lifetime and then some.