Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

What makes a big game cartridge also a good varmit cartridge?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2007, 07:46 AM
Bronze Member

I would like some input on what makes a "big game cartridge" also a worthy "varmit cartridge". Is is the availablity of lighter bullet weights, good BC and velocity without burning more than 75 grs. of powder. It seems that some of the "big game" rounds offer a nice combination for varmit setups but they are not utilized due to some notion that a "big game cartridge" can never be a "good varmit" cartridge. Also what cartridges do you think fit this bill.

Thanks for the input

Mule
Old 05-01-2007, 08:13 AM
Silver Member

Re: What makes a big game cartridge also a good varmit cartridge?

I may not find many that will agree but in my opinion, the answer to your question in one word is, accuracy. Now with that said I only hunt ground hogs so I do not eat them and I have no use for thier fur and there is only one level of dead!! I use my 338 Edge for some ground hog hunting not all the time but some and I have found it to be great practice for LR deer hunting. Shooting ground hogs at 600++++ is good practice for the deer season.

Just my opinion.

Good Shooting,
Oneshot
Old 05-01-2007, 10:27 AM
Silver Member

Mule
Just as oneshot said accuracy #1.
Then I think it mostly has to do with distance!!!
no need to shoot varmits at close range with big game cartidges, very expensive fast!! and the smaller rounds are better suited for the task.
also just to buck the wind the bigger guns generaly do better.
CAM
Old 05-01-2007, 12:13 PM
Platinum Member

I would say a 6.5mm with 140gr class bullets for big game and the lighter 100gr size pills for varmints. The mid size 7mm would be a good choice also.
The 6.5-284 would probably kill deer efectivly out to 1000yds as well as varmints and with the same bullet !! If I were shooting say Elk that I'd choose a bit stronger bullet like a partition. I've killed a deer with a 308 at 618yds with a factory loaded 175gr Sierra Match King bullet and the 6.5-284 kicks it butt balsiticaly with a 140gr A-max .

Say a 280 Ackley improved shooting a 160gr accubond would cleanly kill Elk to 500yds if the conditions were decient , loaded with a 150gor Balistic tip I'd say it could be a 800-900yd deer gun , load it with some 120gr Vmax and it would be very explosive on smaller "varmint" out to at least 500-600yds and still kill worthy out to close to a grand. This combo burns a little over 60grs of powder , barrel life is deciantly long , I'd say close to 2000 maybe more.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:47 PM
Silver Member

I think a huge factor is recoil, not that it scares me but I like to see my bullet impact. If its a miss I can see how far I was off, if I hit, well I get to enjoy the view through my scope. One reason I shoot a varmint weight 2506ackly, Ive found bullets over 115 grains and over I don't see 100% of my hits. I think its a good big game cartridge too.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:37 PM
Silver Member

The stamp on the side of the barrel that says: .25-06 REM.
Enough said. ~JT
Old 05-01-2007, 05:12 PM
Platinum Member

My thoughts are that any good LRH big game cartridge would be a good candidate for a LRH varmint/predator cartridge at least in the "wide open spaces".

Though there aren't enough chucks around to make it worth while, I'm into busting rocks at several of my fall LRH deer and elk spots.

I've been shooting the 270 AM and maybe 5 shots over the period of an afternoon.

I would guess that the 270 AM takes a back seat to both the 7MM and 338 AM and Snipe-Tac for LRH Varmints.