Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

what long range hunt do you have this year???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2005, 08:52 PM
Silver Member

Re: what long range hunt do you have this year???

Got an antelope hunt in north central montana that is also home to some nice muley bucks and wide open country. I will be using my 243 AI for that. I'm elk hunting closer to home where the shots are anywhere from 25 to 300 yds and will be using the trusty 338 for the job.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:31 PM
Silver Member

I have medium range deer and elk hunts planned for western WY and a long range antelope hunt planned in south east WY.

All three hunts I will be packing rem 700, 300 RUM shooting 180 gr interbonds at 3280 fps. The antelope hunt I have been shooting in the area, and am propaired to take anything that presents itself as a good target out to 800 yards, although shots of 1k plus would be more than possible if I and the equipment were better practiced.
"I am a stone. I do not move. Very slowly, I put snow in my mouth and he won't see my breath. I take my time. . . I have only one bullet. I aim at his eye. Very gently, my finger presses on the trigger. I do not tremble. I have no fear"
Old 09-01-2005, 11:15 PM
Silver Member

I have a hunt locked in for whitetail in South Arkansas for the mid part of November. Usually you would not consider South Arkansas to be "longrange" but I will be hunting a pipeline where I can see thousands of yards on either side of me. The thing that is tricky about a pipeline is that you have to be really fast seeing, ranging,and adjusting. I will be using a sendero chambered in 7mm ultra, launching 160 grn accubonds. I have a zeiss 4.5-14x50 mounted on top. I have to practice this scenerio because those whitetails are quick.

Brandon
Old 09-02-2005, 08:32 AM
Silver Member

I have an antelope tag for S central Montana and I know where the big bucks run (14-16 in., no monsters)after the 1st shot-right out in the middle of the biggest flat. Probably a 300-1000 yd shot if the wind isn't blowing. Have a doe/fawn tag too!
Then it's off to big muley country in MT, looking for that 30 incher. Hopefully get my elk with a bow, that could be a long 40 yd shot. If not, I'm going to look up Cowboy and tag along with him, I don't have any good rifle hunting spots for elk. Only shooting my new 300 win mag for all these animals with 200 gr Barnes, my gun really likes them.
Good luck hunting, I leave today, archery for elk starts tomorrow am.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:51 PM
Platinum Member

Wyoming antelope, Sept 25-Oct 1st. Taking .270 AM if it is finished in time. May have scope issue as APS has not received the NF scope yet. If it is finished, it will go to WY and Colorado, which is mule deer/elk combo in SW area. 169.5 Wildcat. I have recently acquired a property where I can practice to 1550 yards but I will not shoot any further than I can practice. I would love to become efficient with the new rifle and take a shot between 500-800 yards.

Planning on BC combo hunt, whitetail, and mulie in mid Nov.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:57 PM
Platinum Member

Son and I are just heading down the road to Southern Idaho. Have a spot all picked out. Two scouting trips so far. Last one was this morning. 7 Bucks and bunches of does. Walked up on a pair of 3x3s @ 40 yds and had to spook 'em away. They went to the 533 - 565 range and began feeding.

Took the rifles to practice dry firing at them. Did really well. Shot 'em all several times and never missed. Even made some head shots.[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

One really nice buck was out at about 800 yds but he and his group were heading some where in a hurry.

Max range I am comfortable with is about 800 yds if things are really perfect. My son has the better rifle but is only comfy out to 600 or so.

I sure like this LRH idea. Sure cuts down on the walking and maximizes the enjoyment.
Old 09-04-2005, 04:44 PM

ALASKA MOOSE, first time ever on both. Killed a lot of deer, but nothing bigger. I'm leaving 10 Sep for a week with friends (DIY hunt) on the Kenai peninsula.
I NEED ADVICE! Local info on scouting would help, then what to do when I walk up on a dead 1500 pound beast that I just shot. How in the world do I get it from there to the freezer at my house in Phoenix?

SAKO Finnlight 300 WSM, 180 Partition, which, by the way, I can't get to shoot better than 2 MOA. I thought about trying Accubond, but I want that partition bullet to be what goes through the lungs of this beast.