Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

what long range hunt do you have this year???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2005, 02:00 PM
Silver Member

Re: what long range hunt do you have this year???

uncle B and fifty I do not have the ohler. I have a pro chrony digital, not as good I know but its what i have. and I am running them hot but it likes it that way! my best groups are at the top running 105 gr retumbo the chrony might be off but i wouldnt know , all i know is that it is consistant. i must admit that 3525 was the peak now that i look at my notes and i am running them a little slower but not much at 3480.?? I am not a pro at this game i just read it as it says????????

fifty brass runs no more than 5 shots that hot, but it isnt a bench gun that i shoot all day It is a long range hunting rig.

WildWorks Outdoor TV

Away Outdoor TV.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:41 PM
Silver Member

Heading to Souteast Colorado for a combo Mule Deer and Elk hunt at the end of Oct. for nine days. I have tried to get these tags for three years and they are finally mine. Where I am from, 400 yards is long range so I hope I can stay around that range or less. I will be toating a very accurate 300WBY accumark shooting 180gr TSX and a Zeiss 4.5x14x50 scope. I wish everyone here a very safe and sucsessfull hunting season. Joel.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:00 PM
Platinum Member

I have a pack in Elk,Deer combo hunt planned for Sep.-15 in the Bob Marshall in Montana I hope to use what I have learned in the last year about long range shooting. 2 weeks ago I went to a game ranch to try long range shooting under some sort of field condition shooting off of a bipod I was able to take a goat at 514 yards with one shot. Hopefully I will be able to take a trophy on my hunt in the 500 to 600 yard range my outfitter told me that he has seen some 30" class muledeer in his area that hang out on on a speciefic ridge that requires shooting 5 to 6 hundered yards I will be useing a 300 win with a 3.5X15 Nightforce with the NP-R2 reticle and 180 grain bullets.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:22 PM
Silver Member

Wildworks

What part of NE are you from?
Old 08-31-2005, 05:58 AM
Silver Member

matt
i am not from nebraska i just hunt there in the south west corner in frontier county. I am from Michigan and guide in Illinois. where are you in nebraska?

WildWorks Outdoor TV

Away Outdoor TV.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:30 PM
Gold Member

Wow, nothing nearly as enticing as what some of you are doing. However it is fun as hell and does fill up the freezer pretty fast.

My friend has a pretty decent place loaded with quality deer and tons of hogs. Since I got my best whitetail ever there I told them I would just post hog patrol for a couple of years to allow another one I have my eye on to mature properly.

As far as ranges on them go, well it can be as close as powder burning the hair on their noses, or as far as I can luck out and hit them running across the 800+ acres of cotton field. Also, I can sit atop of the levee and reach out past 600 - 800 yds easily in several other areas. So at least I will be getting in some decnet needed practice in a month or so.

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"
Old 09-01-2005, 05:54 PM
Gold Member

My long range hunting involves shooting across a creek bottom in Cherokee Co. on a pipeline. It is pretty much the farthest shot I can take on my lease from one of my stands. I have no idea how far if is across, but on target, my bullet drop is about 6 or 7 inches. My 300 SAUM Model 7 is sighted in about 275 yds or so. I actually don't know what range it is sighted in at, but out to 300 yds I just pull the trigger and stuff dies. The ranges I have to shoot at, I do not have to worry about too much. The wind drift across the bottom ends up being about 7 inches as well, only because the ravine is soo deep that the bullet goes over the tree line.

Maybe after graduation when I get my 270 AM or its 2nd generation equivalent I will visit the Northern extremities of this great continent.