Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

WHAT IS LONG / EXTREME RANGE?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2004, 10:33 AM
Silver Member

Re: WHAT IS LONG / EXTREME RANGE?

Long/extreme range?

1. When bullet borders on subsonic range.
2. Whatever range MOA size of target is equal/less to your MOA shooting capability.
Old 10-07-2004, 04:37 PM
Silver Member

I like Jerry's response. Anything beyond point blank, holding on the target, no compensation for drop is long range in most situations. Depending on conditions, sight-in, target, cartridge it could be anything from 100 - 500 yards in my opinion.

Extreme range is well described by Jerry also. That range at which "normal" techniques (doping, dialing, hold-over, drop charts, temp, humidity, elevation etc.) are not enough to reliably plan on a first shot hit.

Do you have more information on the shot?

A member lists their mule deer hunt in Wyoming where they shot an 85 gr 6mm bullet at 587 yards for a one shot kill through the lungs in Wyoming. Based on the Wyoming wind and all it is a great long range shot in my opinion. Hard to call that extreme range though.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:37 PM
Sponsor

I HAD POSED THE QUESTION WITH BIG GAME IN MIND. I WAS SIMPLY INTERESTED IN WHAT THE OTHER MEMBERS THOUGHT ABOUT THE "BOUNDRIES" OF LONG AND EXTREME RANGE. I TEACH ALOT OF FIREARMS CLASS 1 OF THEM A LONG RANGE HUNTERS CLASS. I WAS LOOKING FOR A COMMON DEFINITION FOR LONG AND EXTREME RANGE. THE ANSWERS I GOT ON THIS THREAD HAVE BEEN RIGHT ALONG OF MY IDEAS OF LONG / EXTREME RANGE BUT THE DEFINITIONS WERE BETTER THAN MINE. I BELIEVE THAT IN MY FUTURE CLASSES I WILL FOR BIG GAME AND A FLAT SHOOTING RIFLE OF SOME POWER ( SAY A 300 WIN MAG ) TO BE THE POINT WHERE A POINT BLANK ZERO NO LONGER WORKS AND HOLDING HIGHER, DIALING IN ELEVATION ETC BECOMES NECESSARY, I WILL REFER TO EXTREME RANGE TO BE MORE SUBJECTIVE BASED ON CONDITIONS AND A LOW PROBABILITY OF A FIRST ROUND HIT. BUT GIVEN AVERAGE EQUIPMENT THAT IS NOT PURPOSE BUILT IS, AT LEAST FROM MY STUDENTS AROUND 600 YARDS. I COVER 100 TO 600 YARD SHOOTING FROM FIELD POSITIONS NOT A BENCH REST. THE MOST COMMON RIFLE IN MY CLASSES IS A SENDERO IN A MAG CALIBER, TOPPED WITH A TARGET KNOBED OPTICS ( MOST OPTICS ARE NOT UP TO THE TASK THAT SHOW UP ). THANKS FOR THE INPUT AND I WELCOME MORE ON THIS.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 10-08-2004, 10:48 AM
Writers Guild

ShawnC, your mileage may vary but when I list the ranges, I am shooting from a portable bench with front and rear support.

All bets are off when shooting off a bipod or pack, or some makeshift field position. Maximum distances will shrink dramatically unless the hunter is very experienced and a good shooter.

A competitive prone NRA shooter would have no issue plinking out to 600yds. Most guys couldn't hit a milk jug at 300yds using field rests.

I hope that during your classes the students will understand and respects their limits. With practise and skill, they will certainly be able to do more.

When I help others, it is not to limit them to where they are now but show them the steps to improve to reach where they want to go...responsibly.

The gear that your students are going to show up with will be more then capable of very long distance shooting. The key is whether they possess the skills to do it and to what extent.

At the very least, show them the effects of wind and ambient conditions.

Jerry